Would the barrels be safe for water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The description also states:

"The fluid is manufactured with ingredients classified as Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) by the FDA, and is recommended for use within Food & Beverage processing areas where incidental food contact is possible. "

GRAS means you can eat reasonable amounts of it without harm. I don't see any concern using the barrel.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, that is just not true.
Yeah I guess they say 70% by weight corrosion inhibitors and water so does not give all the details. For me though that is a no, not knowing what it is and how much can leach out after from the plastic. If lemonaide smells in a tank for a long time after that tells me how long it takes to get everything out and rinsing does not do it completely. Often corrosion inhibitors in glycol are a form of phosphates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess they say 70% by weight corrosion inhibitors and water so does not give all the details. For me though that is a no, not knowing what it is and how much can leach out after from the plastic. If lemonaide smells in a tank for a long time after that tells me how long it takes to get everything out and rinsing does not do it completely. Often corrosion inhibitors in glycol are a form of phosphates.

right, and phosphate will not penetrate HDPE.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back