Would this be a good source of nitrate?

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some planted tanks and use liquid fertilizer. I was reading the contents and Wondering what really is the difference of where nitrates come from. Decaying food ect.

I have been having to feed alot to keep the nitrate/phosphate from reaching zero. However I think if this doesn't introduce phosphate in the same way would it make sense to use it and then only feed as normal.

My nitrates and phosphate decay in numbers over time.

PXL_20210905_181534464.jpg PXL_20210905_181529054.jpg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak specifically to why it's a bad idea to use freshwater fert...but I don't think it's a good idea. There are additional minerals there that saltwater doesn't need and I think you could do more harm than good, especially in larger concentration.

What's wrong with just continuing to feed more? It's cheap!

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't speak specifically to why it's a bad idea to use freshwater fert...but I don't think it's a good idea. There are additional minerals there that saltwater doesn't need and I think you could do more harm than good, especially in larger concentration.

What's wrong with just continuing to feed more? It's cheap!
Just trying to avoid the nutrient climb as long as possible so I'm looking for a more soluble source. I thought I did a good job with my scape but I did not. So I feel I need to manage my nutrients different due to the way I made maintenance such a hassle for myself

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's kind of my question. Are these the same as other products that are approved for marine use specifically.

"Approved" is meaningless. Who's doing the approving?

My recommendation is to dose inexpensive food or ACS reagent grade sodium nitrate.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Loudwolf sodium nitrate previously. It was out of stock for a bit so used a different brand that was food grade. Either will work as one example that are just plain food grade or scientific sodium nitrate.

You can find the loudwolf cheaper and don't need 12 bottles :)

1630876417845.png

1630876386470.png

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some planted tanks and use liquid fertilizer. I was reading the contents and Wondering what really is the difference of where nitrates come from. Decaying food ect.

I have been having to feed alot to keep the nitrate/phosphate from reaching zero. However I think if this doesn't introduce phosphate in the same way would it make sense to use it and then only feed as normal.

My nitrates and phosphate decay in numbers over time.

PXL_20210905_181534464.jpg PXL_20210905_181529054.jpg
I have used both main ingredients potassium nitrate and potassium phosphate. It will work for sure. It also has magnesium which may play in your magnesium levels so monitoring might be necessary

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after about a week or so of feeding flake 4x a day in addition to my normal frozen offering, ocean majic, and reef ab+ I have not budged off of 1ppm nitrate... However I have brought my ULR phosphates from .02 to .11

Should I be worried or has it just not caught up yet.

Ps. Corals look fine just trying to get a balance where I can maintain. Looking from my research to need it like to be in the 20-30 nitrate range mostly LPS

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ab+ is high on phosphates iirc. I'd lessen that to maximum every other day. Keep up everything else. Do you have left over flakes after feeding?

What's your mechanical filtration again?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acs grade is crazy expensive. I wouldn't use yours as its only 2.66% That wouldn't last long at all. I would at least shoot for usp grade if you care about purity. There's one on amazon I use. 5lbs for like 18$ and its pretty good.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ab+ is high on phosphates iirc. I'd lessen that to maximum every other day. Keep up everything else. Do you have left over flakes after feeding?

What's your mechanical filtration again
I have a siphon overflow with prefilter sponges-> dual filter Sox below. I rinse the sponges and swap sox 1x a week unless my water line rises.

Generally what has been happening is as my nitrate and phos go up the algae booms then goes away down the drain and it clogs the return. I go through that for a week. Then I guess the levels fall again and I get this brown slime coat that goes right away when I raise it back up again this far with just dumping more food. I think I need to just dose nitrate and stop the overfeed.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a siphon overflow with prefilter sponges-> dual filter Sox below. I rinse the sponges and swap sox 1x a week unless my water line rises.

Generally what has been happening is as my nitrate and phos go up the algae booms then goes away down the drain and it clogs the return. I go through that for a week. Then I guess the levels fall again and I get this brown slime coat that goes right away when I raise it back up again this far with just dumping more food. I think I need to just dose nitrate and stop the overfeed.
Have you checked that brown slime coat under microscope? Might be more than just algae

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked that brown slime coat under microscope? Might be more than just algae
I have not. After researching how it acts it seems to be a dino that thrives in low nutrient systems so far treating it as such seems to work. Do you get a microscope yourself? or a company?

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. After researching how it acts it seems to be a dino that thrives in low nutrient systems so far treating it as such seems to work. Do you get a microscope yourself? or a company?
I have got a used one on eBay for about £30. Works just fine for me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back