Would This Filtration Be Suitable For My Tank?

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
I was getting upgrading my 10 gallon to a new gallon this Christmas.
I’m tired of buying new filter cartridges, I feel like it’s a waste of money.
I’m thinking of a more natural route this time.
Here’s the two options I was looking at.
1 Gallon Hang On Back Divided Refugium (it has 3 sections), with macro algae and marine pure blocks in two sections. And filter floss with carbon in one section.
Or I was thinking just a hang on back protein skimmer. But I don’t have the money to spend $150-$200 on a skimmer.
I have no sump, as it’s not feasible for me, and both these options would be accompanied by weekly water changes. My bio load would be very low, 1-2 fish with reef roids.
Any thoughts?

Corals.com

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
I was getting upgrading my 10 gallon to a new gallon this Christmas.
I’m tired of buying new filter cartridges, I feel like it’s a waste of money.
I’m thinking of a more natural route this time.
Here’s the two options I was looking at.
1 Gallon Hang On Back Divided Refugium (it has 3 sections), with macro algae and marine pure blocks in two sections. And filter floss with carbon in one section.
Or I was thinking just a hang on back protein skimmer. But I don’t have the money to spend $150-$200 on a skimmer.
I have no sump, as it’s not feasible for me, and both these options would be accompanied by weekly water changes. My bio load would be very low, 1-2 fish with reef roids.
Any thoughts?
Either option would be just fine. I assume it is a small tank?.....you could probably get by with just water changes alone with nothing else so any additional filtration would work.

Samina

View Badges
Reaction score
I think your first option, accompanied by weekly WC sounds good. Having that Fuge will also help you have a little safe home for pods and other little critters so that also a plus.

Do you reef more, less or the same on the weekends?

• MORE

Votes: 292 65.0%
  • LESS

Votes: 26 5.8%
  • SAME

Votes: 131 29.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Your Reef
Pieces of the Ocean