Would you help me with this nuisance algae microscoped

qasimbotani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it has been a while since I have this green film like algae on my sand bed despite the fact that I have been siphoning it out it keeps coming back. I have a digital microscope and tried to film it and share it here with experts so that I can nuke them out. looking at it seems like hair algae under microscope but with a naked eye it covers most of my rock and sand bed like a green film algae. when the light are off they seem to disappear but when the light are on they come back again. I have tried playing with my wave makers to eradicate them but it didnt help. every now and then I use a turkey baster to remove them and let the roller filter collect them. any help with this is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello it has been a while since I have this green film like algae on my sand bed despite the fact that I have been siphoning it out it keeps coming back. I have a digital microscope and tried to film it and share it here with experts so that I can nuke them out. looking at it seems like hair algae under microscope but with a naked eye it covers most of my rock and sand bed like a green film algae. when the light are off they seem to disappear but when the light are on they come back again. I have tried playing with my wave makers to eradicate them but it didnt help. every now and then I use a turkey baster to remove them and let the roller filter collect them. any help with this is highly appreciated.

The videos did not play on my iPad but the behavior you describe is that of cyanobacteria. Hair algae does not move or change position depending on the time of day.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green hair algae

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back