Would you scrape the back wall?

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I have a 2 month old tank going through the uglies. Most recently I have some hair algae coming in I'm removing manually, and this very hard mineral-like red-brown algae coming in in spots.

It's particularly noticeable on the back wall which I foolishly plastidipped white in anticipation of this having been a freshwater aquascape.

20230619_111316.jpg

The spots require significant force to scrape off- maybe close to enough to scrape off the plastidip with it.

I figure it's inevitable the back wall gets coated so I was thinking of leaving it. I'm removing the hair algae which comes off much more easily.

Will I regret leaving it there? I see folks talking about scraping their back walls regularly including the stuff that requires a razor.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the look you like. I keep mine clean and have little to no Coraline at all going on 3 years in two systems. Keep in mind if you're growing coral it will directly compete for nutrients thus costing you more to dose and could possibly cause stability issues and sudden dips in parameters if not dosing enough. To me Coraline covered glass looks unkept. Ever Ever notice how clean your lfs keeps their grow out tanks? It will cut into the bottom line feeding Coraline but for you they know you are likely to spend more. I know I'm in the minority here but that's just the look I like. Cleaning pumps and things isn't so much of a chore when they aren't covered in Coraline. So there's that too. But in the end it's your tank do what you like.

OP
OP
3sxp

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the look you like. I keep mine clean and have little to no Coraline at all going on 3 years in two systems. Keep in mind if you're growing coral it will directly compete for nutrients thus costing you more to dose and could possibly cause stability issues and sudden dips in parameters if not dosing enough. To me Coraline covered glass looks unkept. Ever Ever notice how clean your lfs keeps their grow out tanks? It will cut into the bottom line feeding Coraline but for you they know you are likely to spend more. I know I'm in the minority here but that's just the look I like. Cleaning pumps and things isn't so much of a chore when they aren't covered in Coraline. So there's that too. But in the end it's your tank do what you like.

Thank you, this is the context I was looking for. I had a feeling there was a tradeoff and the nutrient draw makes sense. I also had a feeling I was at a turning point with it which is why I wanted to make a decision now.

I'll try cleaning this off and see what happens. It can always grow back but I figure it's currently headed for a point I won't be able to safely (without big parameter disruption) get it back from.

The stocking issue is something that's been puzzling me with a new tank also. I've seen people start slowly with just a few corals and others go pretty deep pretty fast and both seem to work. I'm wondering if I should be adding more corals at this stage (photosynthetic ones) to consume what's currently going into the algae. Though I know a lot of it is just letting the rock mature.

Appreciate the reply! You're completely right that one of my LFSs keeps the back quite clean and I like those tanks better, so clearly it's possible.

OP
OP
3sxp

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I searched but didn't see this!

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is the context I was looking for. I had a feeling there was a tradeoff and the nutrient draw makes sense. I also had a feeling I was at a turning point with it which is why I wanted to make a decision now.

I'll try cleaning this off and see what happens. It can always grow back but I figure it's currently headed for a point I won't be able to safely (without big parameter disruption) get it back from.

The stocking issue is something that's been puzzling me with a new tank also. I've seen people start slowly with just a few corals and others go pretty deep pretty fast and both seem to work. I'm wondering if I should be adding more corals at this stage (photosynthetic ones) to consume what's currently going into the algae. Though I know a lot of it is just letting the rock mature.

Appreciate the reply! You're completely right that one of my LFSs keeps the back quite clean and I like those tanks better, so clearly it's possible.
Get an urchin. They love calcareous algae. They'll do the scraping for you and if you give them hats it can discourage wearing your frags as hats as well. Win/Win

OP
OP
3sxp

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an urchin. They love calcareous algae. They'll do the scraping for you and if you give them hats it can discourage wearing your frags as hats as well. Win/Win

I'd love to get an urchin, but this tank is 2 months old and I was told not to introduce one until at least a year?

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to get an urchin, but this tank is 2 months old and I was told not to introduce one until at least a year?
you're in the same boat as I am, I'm on my 8th week and dealing with very little CuC food/growth as is. I've heard that as long as you're growing the food, you can have one. For some people that's sooner than others. Urchins are like the oceans little tidepool combine tractors. they seemingly never stop. I wouldn't scrape it for 6 months to a year, and then yea - there's your excuse to get an Urchin, lol.

OP
OP
3sxp

3sxp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're in the same boat as I am, I'm on my 8th week and dealing with very little CuC food/growth as is. I've heard that as long as you're growing the food, you can have one. For some people that's sooner than others. Urchins are like the oceans little tidepool combine tractors. they seemingly never stop. I wouldn't scrape it for 6 months to a year, and then yea - there's your excuse to get an Urchin, lol.

Ha, okay, I was going to scrape it but I like your reasoning :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back