wrasse and sandbed

Prince916

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new tank and its going to be BB. I am interested in a couple of wrasse's but in the "description" they need sandbed. Do i really need sand beds to keep wrasses such as Radiant, pencil, yellow, green wrasses....etc

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a Radiant Wrasse once after he tried to dive into my Sandbed that wasn't deep enough. My experience has been that Fairy wrasses do fine without a deeper sandbed, but the others are iffy.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you do, as stated the wrasse dive into the sandbed when startled, they also use critters out of the sandbed as a supplemental food source.

TooTime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a thread where someone successfully kept a radiant wrasse without a sand bed. It was a bare bottom tank and he took a plastic container and zip tied it to the back side of his rocks and put sand in it for his wrasse to sleep in. If I was going to do this when I first released the wrasse into the tank I would put in it in a bottle and make sure it went straight into the sand first so that it would know where it was.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back