Wrasse compatibility mystery/iridis

Fz1ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys
I have a mystery wrasse just out of quarantine and I've introduced it into my display via an aclimation box. I have a iridis/radiant wrasse in my display who is normally very peaceful........however he is showing lots of aggression to the mystery wrasse in the box. The radiant is twice the size of the mystery and I'm a little worried now that if I release the mystery that he wont last long. I've never used a aclimation box before,do I sit it out and leave him in the box and see if the aggression dies down.

My other choice is to place him in my frag tank which has a possum wrasse,tailspot blenny and chalk bass which are all the same size.

What do you think would be my best option in this situation?

Thank you

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'd let the fish sit in the box for a while and watch what happens. I wouldn't think it safe to consider releasing while there's aggression.

OP
OP
F

Fz1ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres no way I'd release him now, if the aggression resumes for next few days should I presume that it's a no go?

OP
OP
F

Fz1ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a fish I can take back they're quite a rare and expensive fish in the uk plus I've had him for a full quarantine now. I woke up this morning with the radiant buzzing around the aclimation box with fins and gills flared so it's not looking good. I'll give it another day and if there is no sign of change I think adding him to my frag system might be the safety option.

When you say they dont mix with other wrasse, do you think he'll be ok with a possum?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't add him to the frag tank as when it matures it will terrorise that tank. I think you have a better chance adding it to your display and I think it's unlikely your iridis is doing anything more than showing it who's top dog. You could well get some initial chasing and this might last some time but unless you are really unlucky I don't think you will see much harm.
The big problem is more likely to be longterm. I've seen plenty of tanks where mystery wrasse coexist with other wrasse at first and then become very aggressive towards them. So for me I would think about your future plans before adding it and that is from someone who has always wanted one.

I'll tag @evolved and @eatbreakfast to give you the thoughts of some wrasse experts.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say they dont mix with other wrasse, do you think he'll be ok with a possum?

Wrasses in the Pseudocheilinus genus, like six line and mystery, grow up to be aggressive and hate other wrasses. I haven't mixed one with a possum wrasse, but I don't think that I would bet on that working.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really like either option. Pseudocheilinus wrasse simply don't mix well with other wrasses.
Probably not.
I wouldn't add him to the frag tank as when it matures it will terrorise that tank.
Agree.
I've seen plenty of tanks where mystery wrasse coexist with other wrasse at first and then become very aggressive towards them.
Right. That's the norm with ocellatus - they're okay on the aggression front, until suddenly, one day things chance without notice and the "switch is flipped".

OP
OP
F

Fz1ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So none of my options are looking great then. The mystery is at least half the size of radiant and the only other 3 fish in the tank are a tomini tang and pair of clown who are all at least twice the size of him.... if I place him in this tank am I right in thinking the aggression wont start for a long time until hes grown to a similar size?

The aggression from the radiant seems to of died down slightly now.... do sure what to do now ‍♂️

OP
OP
F

Fz1ben

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can see the size difference here
20200528_202906.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a difficult question to answer because their terrorising capacity depends on the individual. This is a trait all pseudocheilinus posses and which gives the general advice of not to add them to normal community type aquariums. I have seen a few that seemed to do well with everything but that's probably the exception to the rule, or it could be that it wasn't mature enough yet.
You could try it in your reef with the knowledge you might make adding new fish difficult but always have in the back of your head that it will likely be a strip down job to get it out if you need to.
I'd be quite happy balancing it's aggression with similarly aggressive fish in a small reef but it would be very limiting for the average tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back