Wrasse Compatibility

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Blue Flasher Wrasse and a Leopard Wrasse. I had absolutely no issues with these two. I would like to add an Orange Back Fairy Wrasse. From what I've read/understood, they are far more shy than the Flasher Wrasses. Will I have a lot of issues when I introduce them? Any tricks to mitigate any bullying? Has anyone had compatibility issues with the two species? Am I best to add an adult fairy wrasse as opposed to a juvenile? (my flasher is an adult).

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is that tank and what other fish do you have? How big are the wrasses? IME, the orange back fairy wrasse can be more aggressive than the other two combined. Therefore, I wouldn't worry about any bullying from the flasher or the leopard to the orange, especially orange is typically larger than those two.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g tank. My flasher is roughly 3-4 inches. My leopard is small (2.5 inches or so) and very passive (will approach other fish while swimming almost sideways - a bit like a dog when they roll over and show their belly). No one has ever bothered the leopard or vice versa. My flasher is a bit aggressive about his food, and he gets into it with the damsel (who is by far the grumpiest fish I own) but that's about the extent of it.

In terms of fish, I have the following:

1 bicolor blenny
1 lawnmower blenny
3 talbot damsels
1 yellowtail damsel
1 flasher wrasse
1 leopard wrasse
1 purple firefish
1 ruby red dragonette
2 clowns

I have a decent-sized CuC, 2 anemones and a whole whack of corals.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An orangeback fairy will do well in that tank. They aren't shy and will hold their own. But the leopard shouldn't pay much attention to it.

Males come in far more regularly than females.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An orangeback fairy will do well in that tank. They aren't shy and will hold their own. But the leopard shouldn't pay much attention to it.

Males come in far more regularly than females.

Lol.. I'm leaning towards red breasted wrasse and build with smaller stuff around him.. Broomtails can be beautiful or ugly.. Agreed

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus in my experience are far from shy. I would expect that if you had another from the same genus, you may see some aggression. Typically I reccommend adding congenerics at the same time to limit territoriality.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back