WRASSE for the new tank? NEED Opinions!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok my local buddy told me that I should get some wrasse, the non-reef safe wrasse, that get big. He said he saw a big tank and with them darting around everywhere that is was beautiful.

My problem is that I do not know anything at all about these non reef safe wrasse because I always wanted shrimp and things like that. Now I have come to the decision that I don't care about shrimp and things like that.

Is there anything else they will bother besides shrimp, crabs, snails, etc..??

My lfs has 3 beautiful ones that are a nice size that have been in a small tank together for months and I am thinking of getting all 3.

Is there anything I should know about keeping wrasse together?

Thanks.

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got 6 wrasses, all big males, and they get along fine.

Get a pair whatever you do though. Much cooler fish when in pairs, and male will keep better colors.

golden rhomboids, lineatus, flame, hooded, lobouti (sp?) these are all really awesome, reef safe wrasses.

I also LOVE my yellow coris wrasse. Its brighter yellow than my yellow tang...

stay away form lunar wrasses and any other really big wrasse...its not even the inverts that are so much in danger, its the wrasses that will flip every piece of rock in your tank looking for food...i mean BIG rocks too.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also could get a banana wrass a gold bar wrasse a harequin tusk, a lyretail wrasse. :D

Like to add they are mean, and no whimpy fish could be added. They are sixlines on steroids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ouch...

There goes my excitement! LOL!

Reef Empire

I bleed saltwater.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok my local buddy told me that I should get some wrasse, the non-reef safe wrasse, that get big. He said he saw a big tank and with them darting around everywhere that is was beautiful.

My problem is that I do not know anything at all about these non reef safe wrasse because I always wanted shrimp and things like that. Now I have come to the decision that I don't care about shrimp and things like that.

Is there anything else they will bother besides shrimp, crabs, snails, etc..??

My lfs has 3 beautiful ones that are a nice size that have been in a small tank together for months and I am thinking of getting all 3.

Is there anything I should know about keeping wrasse together?

Thanks.

"Reef Safe" is a fairly loose term. By most accounts H. Lunare wrasses are safe, but ours have acquired a taste for crabs, snails, and his newest addiction... Tridacna clams! Should have stuck with the Radiant who only picked at snails. Thank god for the fish trap!

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do some of the iffier Halichoeres or Pseudocheilinus wrasses. I loooove the Christmas wrasse, but its personality and chance of picking off shrimp isn't right for my needs.

atlfishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going non-reef safe how could you pass on the red coris wrasse? Harequin tusk would also be a cool addition.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't mind not having shrimp and having to replenish snails and such, but I don't want fish that will turn over rocks and coral.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any of these eat shrimps, snails, or crabs?? Rhomboid, Labouti, Lineatus, Flame??

Not usually, They are all listed as reef-safe

I plan on getting all of them in my mixed reef.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good i wanted the Rhomboid wrasse!!

If you find one let me know ;)

They are pretty cool looking. I plan on getting all top 5 in pairs with supermales.
Wish I wouldn't have killed my last flame pair and 8 lineatus's!!! Pump stopped in the middle of the night with formulin in the tank!!! arggggggggg

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with those fairy wrasses. They are a very expensive addiction that has no known cure.

IMG_5004.jpg

IMG_5001.jpg

IMG_5410.jpg

IMG_4631.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's close to that. Just as bad as acanthestrial syndrome. LOL

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with those fairy wrasses. They are a very expensive addiction that has no known cure.

Yep, I may have a comparable amount invested in my fairies as I do in corals. Fairies and flashers are your best bet as they are platonic feeders and generally hang out in the water column.

Dave

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev the best bet for any of those is the Harlequin tusk, as they don't flip to much but will eat shrimp though. A friend of mine had one in his reef for 10 years and never had an issue with them messing with coral or flipping rocks over. As long as you keep it feed it should be a pretty good model citizen. If this is going to be your dream tank don't take the chance of adding something that you will regret and have to take rock out to catch and mess with what you are trying to accomplish.....I have seen tank in person with the big wrasses and they do look cool, but to me the amount paid for corals isn't worth the risk.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back