Wrasse in 75g

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I will hopefully be setting up my 75g by the end of the year (right now I have a 29g and a 10g), and I'd like to have different kinds of wrasse in it. How many wrasse can I have in the tank? As of right now, my plan is to only have a pair of ocellaris clowns and a green clown goby, along with a CUC, in the tank with them. That plan may change, depending on how many wrasse I'm able to have in the tank.
Thanks! :)

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. Fairy wrasses are typically more tolerant of eachother, where as Pseudocheilinus and Halichoeres are not as tolerant. The key part is swimming and hiding space. If they are constantly running into eachother, you will have problems. What kinds of wrasses did you have in mind?

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly fairy and/or flasher. I've also been thinking of getting a Christmas or leopard wrasse, but I'll have to make sure that they would be compatible with the flashers/fairies

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Following! Just upgraded to a 75g and I’m curious what wrasses are possible to have :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's not really a set number - lots of variables...

Here's a good place to start, if I can be so self indulgent:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly fairy and/or flasher. I've also been thinking of getting a Christmas or leopard wrasse, but I'll have to make sure that they would be compatible with the flashers/fairies

I had a Christmas wrasse, yellow coris, red coris, leopard, and four line all in a 55 with a couple others. The Christmas wrasse was the biggest bully. Followed by the red coris. I don't think I would ever keep christmas wrasse again. Ate like a pig also.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use this write up all the time, and have had great success with wrasse due to it! One of the most valuable reads to the wrasse loving community!

To the op: you've got tons of options, and a wrasse dominant 75 gallon would be a neat tank. Read the article, then browse through the wrasse section of any online retailer, get some ideas and come up with a list, and we can help you with it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get some ideas and come up with a list, and we can help you with it.
Agree! I'm never opposed to helping with a predetermined list. But it's really hard for me to give input when there are literally hundreds of choices!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Christmas wrasse, yellow coris, red coris, leopard, and four line all in a 55 with a couple others. The Christmas wrasse was the biggest bully. Followed by the red coris. I don't think I would ever keep christmas wrasse again. Ate like a pig also.
Fwiw, "Chrsitmas wrasse" can be used on a number of different species. And the temperaments are definitely not the same between them all.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm currently working my way through your thread, trying to glean everything I can lol. Thank you for putting in all that hard work!
Melanarus!!
I didn't think that the melanarus was reef safe, or at least was reef cautious (if that makes sense lol)
Thank you for sharing your experience! I definitely don't want a bully
I use this write up all the time, and have had great success with wrasse due to it! One of the most valuable reads to the wrasse loving community!

To the op: you've got tons of options, and a wrasse dominant 75 gallon would be a neat tank. Read the article, then browse through the wrasse section of any online retailer, get some ideas and come up with a list, and we can help you with it.
Thanks! I have the start of a list. I'll type it out and see what you all think

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think that the melanarus was reef safe, or at least was reef cautious (if that makes sense lol)

I put off getting one for a long time because of this, but the only invert mine bothers is pencil eraser sized snails. It will decimate your pod population, but mine hasn't touched anything of any real size.

OP
OP
Erin O

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the ones I'm thinking about:
McCosker's (To be honest, I already have this one in my 29g. I know the tank is too small for him, but its only him and the green clown goby, and I wanted something colorful and active to help push my husband into letting me set up the 75g. You know, "Look at this awesome fish! Isn't he fabulous? Turns out that the 29 is too small for him, so let's get that 75 going and get a bunch more like him!")
Lubbock
Carpenter's
Leopard
Velvet Fairy

I'm sure there will be more that I ask about, but this is what I have on the list right now

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw, "Chrsitmas wrasse" can be used on a number of different species. And the temperaments are definitely not the same between them all.

This was the Christmas wrasse I had

Screenshot_2020-07-09-14-38-19.png

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a melanarus, McCoskers, and exquisite (fairy) wrasse in my 75 gal with no issues. The melanarus was seeming a little cramped before I upgraded. He's a pretty beefy guy though :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carpenter's
If you're going to do multiple Paracheilinus, better to do 3 or more totally than just two different species.
What species? M. meleagris? (probably the easiest one to start with)
Velvet Fairy
A common name that can be put a few different ones. What species does that mean to you?

This was the Christmas wrasse I had

Screenshot_2020-07-09-14-38-19.png
claudia is typically quite mild; are you sure it wasn't ornatissimus? (similar looking, yet rather evil in comparison)
Untitled.png

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
claudia is typically quite mild; are you sure it wasn't ornatissimus? (similar looking, yet rather evil in comparison)
Untitled.png

That could very well be. I did have him in Hawaii and was quite cheap so it would make sense. i don't remember the cororation looking that red and vibrant though. Probably would have kept him regardless of what a punk he was if he looked that good...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could very well be. I did have him in Hawaii and was quite cheap so it would make sense. i don't remember the cororation looking that red and vibrant though. Probably would have kept him regardless of what a punk he was if he looked that good...
Definitely ornatissimus then; endemic to HI. claudia comes out of Fiji.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back