wrasse in hyposalinity flashing after 14 days, brown/gray spot.

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fairy wrasse started swimming erratically yesterday. Also he's flashing very violently from time to time. Maybe once every 5 minutes or so for 5 seconds on average. He's been in QT under hyposaline conditions (11.3 ppt) for 18 days. I'm using a conductivity instrument that gives readings in ppt, so I'm pretty sure the salinity is accurate. Water parameters are good after a water change yesterday - pH, ammonia, nitrite, etc. - but they were creeping up before that. The seachem badge was green.

He's been producing more mucous than usual and has this brown/gray spot on the side. I think it's slightly raised but it's hard to tell. Its color (brown/gray) doesn't come across well in this photo, nor the contrast.

I understand the spot may be entirely unrelated but I'm curious what it might be? A bruise perhaps, from flashing?

There have been no visible signs of flukes since about day 2 in hyposalinity, no visible signs of ich since about day 14.

IMG_20180105_155422117.jpg
IMG_20180105_155324455.jpg
IMG_20180105_155336283.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say but if I had to guess it looks like a bacterial infection. I am not very familiar with hyposalinity treatments. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say but if I had to guess it looks like a bacterial infection. I am not very familiar with hyposalinity treatments. Hopefully someone else can chime in and help.

I just ran a hypo on my display from a parasite outbreak. As the flukes started to die off my fish, which was day ten or so, they flashed for a bit. They all returned back to normal shortly later. Just my experience..

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up perishing with a prolapsed rectum appearing near the end. I'm not sure of the cause of the grey spot but I imagine it could have been due to toxins in his body cavity or just an infection developed under duress.

I don't know the cause of the rectal issue. The only information I found from research is that it possibly was caused by unresolved constipation.

Not sure of the erratic swimming either.

At any rate, I appreciate the responses I received. :)

On a good note, the other wrasse and the foxface in the same quarantine seem to be thriving.
d3d44cf5ae89f92738814e43dbb0656c.jpg

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ended up perishing with a prolapsed rectum appearing near the end. I'm not sure of the cause of the grey spot but I imagine it could have been due to toxins in his body cavity or just an infection developed under duress.

I don't know the cause of the rectal issue. The only information I found from research is that it possibly was caused by unresolved constipation.

Not sure of the erratic swimming either.

At any rate, I appreciate the responses I received. :)

On a good note, the other wrasse and the foxface in the same quarantine seem to be thriving.
d3d44cf5ae89f92738814e43dbb0656c.jpg
I should also point out that the dark area near the front was just coloration (blue) that gradually changed shade as he deteriorated.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to keep in mind, is that velvet is unaffected by hyposalinity and is every bit as common as ich, and far more deadly.

In addition, there are now confirmed strains of ich that can survive hyposalinity as well.

While I can’t say that velvet was at play, wrasse mask and hide it well, so keep that in mind.

Sorry for the loss :(

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I really don't think it was velvet but that's no certainty. I'm on day 21 of hypo so I'm going to try and finish it out. I added paraguard for velvet suppression in case it's lurking. Neither the remaining wrasse nor the foxface seem phased by the paraguard, at all. When it comes time to leave hypo, I'll continue with paraguard as I slowly raise salinity over the course of a week. After a few days at normal salinity, I'll remove the paraguard and start an observation period with copper ready to go if needed.

OP
OP
somebloke

somebloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it didn't. I went to the tank transfer method using clear rubbermade like storage containers. Basically I had three "kits" where each kit had the container, a cheap heater, a cheap air pump, thermometer. A new air stone and airline tubing every time, thrown out after used and wet. Made sure everything was dry for well over 24 hours between uses, which was relatively easy since I had three "kits"

Back