Wrasse Popeye

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pintail wrasse about 2 weeks ago which looked great. I noticed 3 days ago that his one eye looked slightly bigger than his other. Today it was even larger. I was wondering if there was anything I can do for him to bring his eye back to normal? I would prefer not to tear up the tank completely to catch him. I have been feeding garlic soaked mysis and brine since I noticed a few days ago. I also feed new life spectrum pellet to supplement. He eats like a pig and is still very active, so it doesn't seem to be slowing him down at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a 60 gallon reef
77 degrees F
1.025 salinity
0 ammonia
10 nitrates
8.2 pH

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Sorry about your wrasse. I've read that most fish recover if this is the only thing wrong with them, but I've never had that luck. I've only had one fish with pop eye and it didn't make it. We do have a few threads here that offer advice for pop eye. If you do a search for pop eye you should be able to find the help you need. To get you started...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lyretail-popeye-treatment.625295/

@ReefSquad ?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it. Keep your water condition pristine and nutrition high with vitamin soaked foods. Good health will help him fight off the infection but if doesn't you need to place in QT and administer kanaplex and neolex through the water column for 2 weeks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye can be caused by a few different things. An injury can often cause popeye. Sometimes rubbing in the shipping bags can abrade the fish's eye (s). The other can be a bacterial infection which can be a worsening of the prior situation.
First you can try treating with Epsom salts. Use plain unscented USP Epsom salts. Can be used in the DT. Will slightly elevate the magnesium level which usually is ok; the other is a slight elevation in the sulfate levels. Unknown how much but this is a very old school approach that has been used for years without harm.
Dose 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can redose one time.

If this doesn't provide relief, Erythromycin (aka Maracyn) works on many forms of popeye.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye can be caused by a few different things. An injury can often cause popeye. Sometimes rubbing in the shipping bags can abrade the fish's eye (s). The other can be a bacterial infection which can be a worsening of the prior situation.
First you can try treating with Epsom salts. Use plain unscented USP Epsom salts. Can be used in the DT. Will slightly elevate the magnesium level which usually is ok; the other is a slight elevation in the sulfate levels. Unknown how much but this is a very old school approach that has been used for years without harm.
Dose 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water. Can redose one time.

If this doesn't provide relief, Erythromycin (aka Maracyn) works on many forms of popeye.
Does the Epsom salt raise the salinity or any other parameters that I would have to keep an eye on besides Magnesium?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Epsom salt raise the salinity or any other parameters that I would have to keep an eye on besides Magnesium?
No, it doesn't effect the salinity. A bit more of Mag is often desirable by many reefers. But of course each tank is different. Some of your corals may like it :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back