Wrasse QT with suspected Uroma

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and Thank You in Advance
I've been trying to get a yellow coris wrasse in my DT tank for months and can never get past QT period. (Also almost no LFS has any)

Anyway, I finally managed to find 4 yellow coris wrasse. Two large and two small. I put in QT for observation. Eating pellets and flakes, swimming great. Two days later larger of the wrasse died suddenly. Following day the second wrasse had a red sore on its side, lethargic breathing etc...

20220202_222328.jpg

Long story short I suspect Uroma after some reading.

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Finally:

I'm thinking of doing a Paraguard dip (1 hour) for the other two wrasse. 3ml in fresh salt water 1 gallon Tupperware.

Following this with metroplex dosing in QT tank every 48 hours.

Does this sound like a good way to try and save my two yellow coris wrasse???

Second question. I have a new 20g long tank, but should I run to petco and get a cheap 10g tank for qt purposes (double medication)?

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep looks like they could have Uronema. You will want to start medicating to get ahead of the disease if possible. In my experience when they have visible red sores it is often too late. Here is a great guide to ID and treatment of Uronema, courtesy of @Humblefish

Peter C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally:

I'm thinking of doing a Paraguard dip (1 hour) for the other two wrasse. 3ml in fresh salt water 1 gallon Tupperware.

Following this with metroplex dosing in QT tank every 48 hours.

Does this sound like a good way to try and save my two yellow coris wrasse???

Second question. I have a new 20g long tank, but should I run to petco and get a cheap 10g tank for qt purposes (double medication)?
I'm not sure how much the Paraguard will do for them but it is a pretty gentle medication so I don't think it can hurt. Metroplex is likely your best bet. If you are thinking of getting a smaller tank to double the strength of the meds I would advise against that. Usually running the concentration recommended by the med company is the best bet and I have had wrasses react poorly to some meds. Best of luck I hope all the remaining wrasses recover!!

OP
OP
Digitalfirex

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep looks like they could have Uronema. You will want to start medicating to get ahead of the disease if possible. In my experience when they have visible red sores it is often too late. Here is a great guide to ID and treatment of Uronema, courtesy of @Humblefish

That's the treatment recommendation I'm following. The paraguard is the "formalin" bath. Paraguard is what I have at hand.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 44 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back