Wrasse QT

Tyler Erickson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My royal gramma recently got crypto, so I was gonna move all my fish to quarantine for 8 weeks so it’ll die off in my tank. I have two clowns, Randall’s goby, and a Lubbock's fairy wrasse. I was gonna use seachem cupramine, but a lot of people said it’s too rough on fairy wrasses. Not sure what to do. I also have metro and prazi on hand as well.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to use a chelated copper like Copper Power.

If you absolutely have to use an ionic copper like Cupramine. Do not use the dosage suggested on the bottle. Figure out the total number of drops needed (4 drops per gallon of saltwater) to get to therapeutic level and spread out the doses over 5-7 days, and further dose a bit in the morning and evening. This slow approach can work better with fish that are usually not so good with Cupramine.

Plus it gives you more time to observe if the fish is one of the sensitive ones before a big dose does damage to the fish's liver and other internals.

OP
OP
Tyler Erickson

Tyler Erickson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle says 20 drops/10.5 gallons and then another dose 48 hours later. This is suppose to yield a concentration of 0.5 mg/L. I’m using a 15 gallon so I’m looking at 60 drops total. So do you think I should do 10 drops, then wait 48 and dose another 10 and repeat until I reach the 60?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
652B5DF7-E60E-4B7D-829B-6A8EC3EB6125.png

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll give that a try. Should I add that slower than they suggest too?
Several doses in a few hours to get up to therapeutic works very well. The key is the ramp, it’s less important how long the ramp up takes, IME.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll give that a try. Should I add that slower than they suggest too?

With a wrassse I would ramp up over A few days just because they be sensitive to any copper. Cheleted is easier on fish though (copper power). I would also recommend the Hanna Copper Checker with two extra boxes of reagents. This makes copper a breeze.

OP
OP
Tyler Erickson

Tyler Erickson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a wrassse I would ramp up over A few days just because they be sensitive to any copper. Cheleted is easier on fish though (copper power). I would also recommend the Hanna Copper Checker with two extra boxes of reagents. This makes copper a breeze.

Got it covered. I work at my LFS and we test copper in our tanks so I’ll just have them test it or me.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level is considered therapeutic?
1.5. We always suggested 1.75. Measured with a Hanna checker, not the inaccurate color charts. A velvet strain that survives 1.75 is scary, honestly.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottle says 20 drops/10.5 gallons and then another dose 48 hours later. This is suppose to yield a concentration of 0.5 mg/L. I’m using a 15 gallon so I’m looking at 60 drops total. So do you think I should do 10 drops, then wait 48 and dose another 10 and repeat until I reach the 60?

One last thing to consider. A 15 gallon tank is probably not 15 gallons. Depending on the mfg the capacity can vary a bit. So if you can, measure the tank's capacity. It may be 14 to 13 actual gallons. Knowing the actual gallonage, will give you even more confidence treating your fish. I mark the glass every gallon with a permanent marker. ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back