Wrasse Stocking

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, I am going to be adding a couple wrasses and was hoping for some guidance from the experts. I have lots of experience with saltwater fish but limited with wrasses and this will be the first tank that will have multiple living together.

Tank is a standard 55 gallon for now. I will be starting with two or three wrasses. Narrowed my list down to the following fish that are available locally. I’d like one halichoeres and one or two cirrhilabrus.

-Yellow Coris
-Radiant
-Melanurus

-Isosceles
-Rhomboidalis
-Bathyphilus
-Labouti **probably needs a bigger tank

I will either quarantine and add together, or do one first then another, still undecided on this.

Thanks for the input, appreciate the help in advance !

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all, I am going to be adding a couple wrasses and was hoping for some guidance from the experts. I have lots of experience with saltwater fish but limited with wrasses and this will be the first tank that will have multiple living together.

Tank is a standard 55 gallon for now. I will be starting with two or three wrasses. Narrowed my list down to the following fish that are available locally. I’d like one halichoeres and one or two cirrhilabrus.

-Yellow Coris
-Radiant
-Melanurus

-Isosceles
-Rhomboidalis
-Bathyphilus
-Labouti **probably needs a bigger tank

I will either quarantine and add together, or do one first then another, still undecided on this.

Thanks for the input, appreciate the help in advance !
Of the Halichoeres, I would skip melanurus considering the tank size raises the aggression potential.
As for the Cirrhilabrus, only isosceles is suitable for the tank size. Consider something from the lubbocki complex for the second species. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with skipping the melanurus.

I feel the rhomboidalis and isosceles would both be fine in that tank.

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, thanks guys.

As far as adding goes, would best case scenario be to add them all to QT together and then to the Display tank? And if I can’t get them all at once, would adding the Halichorus first and then the pintail or rhomboid after?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your qt has enough space and cover doing all simultaneously is ideal. If not, then do Cirrhilabrus before Halichoeres.

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks again, appreciate the help. Really looking forward to these guys

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering two tank sizes for my upgrade and wondering what you guys think would be best for the wrasses.I’m partial to the cube because of the side of the room that it will fit but would like to hear reasons opposing it in favour of the rectangular tank.

Two tanks that will fit in the room:

116 gallon cube 30x30x30

125 gallon 72x18x24

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering two tank sizes for my upgrade and wondering what you guys think would be best for the wrasses.
The 125 for sure.
The lateral length gives them more opportunity to stay away from another, and therefore better chances of things working out in the long term.

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok yeah it makes sense, I think the 125 will fit nicely so shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks again guys

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tail Tamarin...I have one available locally for a good price and the first one I’ve seen in person, very nice looking fish. How do they do with the fairy wrasses? More specifically, the pintail/rhomboid?

Any other insight into this tamarin wrasse will be greatly appreciated, I only have until tomorrow to pull the trigger on this one

Thanks

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Tail Tamarin...I have one available locally for a good price and the first one I’ve seen in person, very nice looking fish. How do they do with the fairy wrasses? More specifically, the pintail/rhomboid?

Any other insight into this tamarin wrasse will be greatly appreciated, I only have until tomorrow to pull the trigger on this one

Thanks
Compatibility will be fine, but Anampses is a tricky, tricky genus. If it is eating and a healthy weight, then it is off to a good start.

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks, I appreciate the honest feedback, I was actually just reading through your article. I think I might hold off and wait for my iridis instead.

Thanks again

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80G reef ready with mixed reef and is stocked with 2 clowns, a yellow tail damsel and pajama cardinal.
My wrasse wish list is as follows:
P. McCoskeri
P. Flavianalis
P. Lineopunctatus
P. Filamentusus
C. Rubrimarginatus
H. Chrysotaenia
H. Claudia
H. Biocellatus
I know this is a lot of fish, but of these which could I keep? If I buy 3-4 at a time is a 20g QT large enough?
Which order should I add to tank?

Thanks

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80G reef ready with mixed reef and is stocked with 2 clowns, a yellow tail damsel and pajama cardinal.
My wrasse wish list is as follows:
P. McCoskeri
P. Flavianalis
P. Lineopunctatus
P. Filamentusus
C. Rubrimarginatus
H. Chrysotaenia
H. Claudia
H. Biocellatus
I know this is a lot of fish, but of these which could I keep? If I buy 3-4 at a time is a 20g QT large enough?
Which order should I add to tank?

Thanks
You could keep any/all on the wish list.
Flashers first, then rubrimarginatus, biocellatus, then claudia and chrysotaenia.

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep any/all on the wish list.
Flashers first, then rubrimarginatus, biocellatus, then claudia and chrysotaenia.

OK, so I could add flashers at one time. Does this mean I would have to buy others individually to add to QT and then to DY? Any way I could buy a couple of them to run thru QT.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be ideal to do the flashers simultaneously, but if not possible then be sure to use an acclimation box.

OP
OP
F

FreddyFrags

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an isosceles and iridis coming!

I have cupramine, metro, prazi, focus, selcon, all on hand and ready to go.

I have a 40 breeder setup and cycled for quarantine. I’d like some opinions on proactively treating/medicating these fish before they go into the display tank.

I was thinking nothing but food soaked in metro/focus for the first few days depending how healthy and good the fish are doing. Then slowly start ramping up cupramine and do a full treatment. Then monitor and do prazi after.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back