wrasse with API General Cure 2nd dose 2 or 5 days ??

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, have had my tank up for 10+ years, 2 fish for the last 5 years, recently my wrasse has been acting funny, laying on mushrooms and a frag rack, heavier breathing, not being out. i was able to put it in a large acclimation box for a day, no change.
yesterday i set up a quick 10 gallon, and purchased the api general cure. reading the directions i am seeing after 48 hours, redose, then water change. Visibly i saw a bit of white poo, not stringy, shorter . nothing else visibly on the outside is different. he curls a bit, and looks not quite right, might have been spooked by the other fish and hurt his spine or something else. Not exactly sure. the api treatment is a try something if its internal.
was reading about mixing this med with another, and re adding the api gc after 5-7 days. that part was confusing to me.
thoughts or opinions ??
i also lowered the temp to 76, should i go lower ?? (have a controller on the 10g QT, so temp adjustment is easy)
filters i have a aquaclear, and a whisper/tetra. aquaclear is just for flow, i have the sponge in the tetra one, no carbon or filter pack. i also have the ammonia badge arriving tomorrow . this is just 1 fish in the 10g.
thanks very much for your time,

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, have had my tank up for 10+ years, 2 fish for the last 5 years, recently my wrasse has been acting funny, laying on mushrooms and a frag rack, heavier breathing, not being out. i was able to put it in a large acclimation box for a day, no change.
yesterday i set up a quick 10 gallon, and purchased the api general cure. reading the directions i am seeing after 48 hours, redose, then water change. Visibly i saw a bit of white poo, not stringy, shorter . nothing else visibly on the outside is different. he curls a bit, and looks not quite right, might have been spooked by the other fish and hurt his spine or something else. Not exactly sure. the api treatment is a try something if its internal.
was reading about mixing this med with another, and re adding the api gc after 5-7 days. that part was confusing to me.
thoughts or opinions ??
i also lowered the temp to 76, should i go lower ?? (have a controller on the 10g QT, so temp adjustment is easy)
filters i have a aquaclear, and a whisper/tetra. aquaclear is just for flow, i have the sponge in the tetra one, no carbon or filter pack. i also have the ammonia badge arriving tomorrow . this is just 1 fish in the 10g.
thanks very much for your time,
Honestly, I’m wondering if your wrasse is nearing the end of his lifespan. If I’m reading your message correctly, he’s at least 5 years old. That’s pretty good for most wrasses.

If you are going to continue to treat him with GC, then do it 5-7 days after the first treatment. If you want to treat internally, you should mix GC with focus and food and feed it to him also. Lastly, ammonia control is paramount. I would add biospira or another bacteria product to keep ammonia low. (Unless your sponge was seeded) I’d keep temp around 78.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JS_racer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, he is around 5 years old, could be that..
ammonia will be tough to control, sponge was not seeded, and isn't that large. hope my badge will be here tomorrow.
definitely not eating , so i'll work on that,

thanks for the information. had to try something

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back