Wrasse with White Spot

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me identify this spot. This fish has been healthy in my DT for over a year. All fish were quarantined prior to addition and everybody has been healthy for a while. I recently added 4 Anthias from a “Pre-Quarantined” online seller. The Anthias I kept in quarantine for about a week for observation with no meds. They all looked, and still look, very healthy and free of disease and parasites. But, now my wrasse has been getting these little raised white spots on its side.

IMG_5597.jpeg IMG_5596.jpeg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My guess is bacterial infection but he also appears to be quite bloated

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please help me identify this spot. This fish has been healthy in my DT for over a year. All fish were quarantined prior to addition and everybody has been healthy for a while. I recently added 4 Anthias from a “Pre-Quarantined” online seller. The Anthias I kept in quarantine for about a week for observation with no meds. They all looked, and still look, very healthy and free of disease and parasites. But, now my wrasse has been getting these little raised white spots on its side.

This is post injury and one to keep an eye on. Assure its healing and not becoming infected which will appear red or raw. Marine fish have the ability to heal on their own.
In the mean time, it would not be bad to acquire either seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 to have on hand in case it gets infected which may have already started. Ruby Rally is another option which takes longer but can be used in tank with coral and inverts.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s really rare for a long term captive to just show with lesions like this. I see one large one and then a possible smaller one a bit forward of that, are there any lesions on the other side?
Are there any symptoms other than the spots?
Could it have tangled with a stinging coral or anemone?

The two issues I’m trying to rule out is a primary bacterial infection and the off chance that the Anthias transmitted Uronema to this fish (that is very rare, especially since the anthias are doing well),

Jay

OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really rare for a long term captive to just show with lesions like this. I see one large one and then a possible smaller one a bit forward of that, are there any lesions on the other side?
Are there any symptoms other than the spots?
Could it have tangled with a stinging coral or anemone?

The two issues I’m trying to rule out is a primary bacterial infection and the off chance that the Anthias transmitted Uronema to this fish (that is very rare, especially since the anthias are doing well),

Jay
Thank you so much for your response, Jay! I did have a bout with uronema from the first batch of fish from the seller I mentioned. It killed all the fish except 2. Some of those were Anthias that I had put in the DT because they were “pre-quarantined.” They died. Nobody else appeared to get sick. I also got some chromis which I put in quarantine and all but 2 died. I did a full treatment of copper, but I was told that doesn’t help with uronema. So, I got Safety Stop Rapid Fish quarantine dip from BRS, bleached the tank and all the equipment, then put the 2 chromis back in after the dip. After observing the chromis for a month or so, I asked the seller to resend the Anthias. I put those in the quarantine with the one chromis left. Maybe it could be uronema? It’s possible not all of the uronema was eradicated. The chromis still has the gray stripe and is still in quarantine. I don’t know if it’s uronema or not. I thought it would probably die if it was, but it’s been in quarantine after the dip for about 2 months.
I also thought it may be an injury. I don’t have anemones. I do have one euphyllia. The spots are only on the one side. There was a similar spot about a week ago that went away on its own. No other symptoms.

OP
OP
AquaScott

AquaScott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is post injury and one to keep an eye on. Assure its healing and not becoming infected which will appear red or raw. Marine fish have the ability to heal on their own.
In the mean time, it would not be bad to acquire either seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 to have on hand in case it gets infected which may have already started. Ruby Rally is another option which takes longer but can be used in tank with coral and inverts.
Thank you so much Vetteguy!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your response, Jay! I did have a bout with uronema from the first batch of fish from the seller I mentioned. It killed all the fish except 2. Some of those were Anthias that I had put in the DT because they were “pre-quarantined.” They died. Nobody else appeared to get sick. I also got some chromis which I put in quarantine and all but 2 died. I did a full treatment of copper, but I was told that doesn’t help with uronema. So, I got Safety Stop Rapid Fish quarantine dip from BRS, bleached the tank and all the equipment, then put the 2 chromis back in after the dip. After observing the chromis for a month or so, I asked the seller to resend the Anthias. I put those in the quarantine with the one chromis left. Maybe it could be uronema? It’s possible not all of the uronema was eradicated. The chromis still has the gray stripe and is still in quarantine. I don’t know if it’s uronema or not. I thought it would probably die if it was, but it’s been in quarantine after the dip for about 2 months.
I also thought it may be an injury. I don’t have anemones. I do have one euphyllia. The spots are only on the one side. There was a similar spot about a week ago that went away on its own. No other symptoms.
Yes, copper does not help with internal Uronema. Safety stop contains formalin, and while that can help with the external Uronema that seahorses and seadragons get, it does not help with internal Uronema (yes, I know your fish are showing external lesions, but those show up after the internal Uronema has dies it’s damage.

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back