Wrasses and Monti eating nudis

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by rich nyc, Jan 30, 2018.

1. rich nyc

rich nyc Well-Known Member

I am trying to get rid of Monti Nudis. Was going to get a yellow coris wrasse but according to LA they are not reef safe which makes no sense. I don't want a sixline wrasse. My only aggressive fish is a purple tang but all the rest of my tank mates are peaceful (pair of firefish, blue eyed cardinals, assessor and pair of Wyoming clowns). Are there other peaceful wrasses that will do the trick? Thanks, Rich

Tags:

2. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

Halichoeres chrysus will do the trick, and is a whole heck of a lot more reef compatible than a sixline.

3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Agree. Also, the reason they don’t say reef safe is that halichoeres, especially rather large ones, will eat inverts (ironically, exactly what you’re looking for). They can hunt hermits and snails, and other small desirable inverts. Coral, clams, larger shrimp and crabs, and nems are safe.

rich nyc and eatbreakfast like this.
  4. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

While they can hunt hermits and snails, I have found H. chrysus to be unlikely to do so.

NowGlazeIT, rich nyc and 4FordFamily like this.
  5. rich nyc

rich nyc Well-Known Member

cool i will look into the coris wrasses

eatbreakfast likes this.
  6. HB AL

HB AL Valuable Member

I have a green coris wrasse and he spends the day looking and picking at anything he can fit in his mouth, his stomach is always fat and he usually goes under the sand before I feed the fish so I know he's eating unwanted pests and pods. He does sport a little attitude towards my red coris who is 3 times his size but is pretty mellow a majority of the time.

rich nyc likes this.
  7. Crashjack

Crashjack Active Member R2R Supporter

H. Melanurus is another option though there is the potential for it to also eat snails/hermits.

rich nyc likes this.
  8. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well-Known Member

All of the H species eat snails and crabs, hence they are listed as "With Caution" on most sites. I also agree that the Melanurus is a great option. Mine is still a juvie and thus not the spectacular fish it will become, but it has been great. It also has played the role of peacekeeper/enforcer in my tank. I used to have a snowflake occ who came in with a major attitude problem and biting and chasing every fish in the tank. The wrasse took it for a bit and then gave the little upstart a major attitude adjustment. It spent the next day beating the crap out of it (even grabbed it by the tail and shook it like a rag doll). The next day the wrasse left the clownfish pretty much alone and the clownfish was suddenly a model citizen. The point is that it won't seek out fights, but it won't shy away from them either.

rich nyc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted