Wrasses and Monti eating nudis

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get rid of Monti Nudis. Was going to get a yellow coris wrasse but according to LA they are not reef safe which makes no sense. I don't want a sixline wrasse. My only aggressive fish is a purple tang but all the rest of my tank mates are peaceful (pair of firefish, blue eyed cardinals, assessor and pair of Wyoming clowns). Are there other peaceful wrasses that will do the trick? Thanks, Rich

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres chrysus will do the trick, and is a whole heck of a lot more reef compatible than a sixline.
Agree. Also, the reason they don’t say reef safe is that halichoeres, especially rather large ones, will eat inverts (ironically, exactly what you’re looking for). They can hunt hermits and snails, and other small desirable inverts. Coral, clams, larger shrimp and crabs, and nems are safe.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green coris wrasse and he spends the day looking and picking at anything he can fit in his mouth, his stomach is always fat and he usually goes under the sand before I feed the fish so I know he's eating unwanted pests and pods. He does sport a little attitude towards my red coris who is 3 times his size but is pretty mellow a majority of the time.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the H species eat snails and crabs, hence they are listed as "With Caution" on most sites. I also agree that the Melanurus is a great option. Mine is still a juvie and thus not the spectacular fish it will become, but it has been great. It also has played the role of peacekeeper/enforcer in my tank. I used to have a snowflake occ who came in with a major attitude problem and biting and chasing every fish in the tank. The wrasse took it for a bit and then gave the little upstart a major attitude adjustment. It spent the next day beating the crap out of it (even grabbed it by the tail and shook it like a rag doll). The next day the wrasse left the clownfish pretty much alone and the clownfish was suddenly a model citizen. The point is that it won't seek out fights, but it won't shy away from them either.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back