Wrong readings.

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i was getting these numbers the whole time. Today i got 10.6. Those numbers were measured using red sea test kit. today i got a Hanna checker because i i just did the last red sea test and when i checked with the Hanna i got 9.2. so i checked again to make sure same exact number. So these numbers were more then likely wrong the entire time. How would I go about Dkh now.
Screenshot_20210827-154400.png

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check a calibration solution and see what you get. Either number is still in the recommended range. Stability is more important than a specific number, As long as it's within the recommended range. For reef tank it is 8-12 Dkh.

Also it appears you measure Dkh at different times of the day. Your Dkh does vary throughout the day, so it's best to measure at the same time every time.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check a calibration solution and see what you get. Either number is still in the recommended range. Stability is more important than a specific number, As long as it's within the recommended range. For reef tank it is 8-12 Dkh.

Also it appears you measure Dkh at different times of the day. Your Dkh does vary throughout the day, so it's best to measure at the same time every time.
I don't think it's going to vary 1.4

I don't think 2 hours later is going to throw me off 1.4 dkh but you're right about the time and it's still acceptable. I just thought I was at about 10.6 and i was at 9.2

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same discrepancies with different test kits, like my calcium I get around 500 with salifert and 415 with Hanna. Like Biglew11 says stability is what's important. Same with alk, salifert gives me a lower reading than Hanna, just the opposite. Stick with one and go with it. Over the years I have tried many test kits to find the easiest with the most stable readings, I still have 2 different brands for each parameter incase i run out of one I have a backup and as long as I know what the difference is I am good with it.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same discrepancies with different test kits, like my calcium I get around 500 with salifert and 415 with Hanna. Like Biglew11 says stability is what's important. Same with alk, salifert gives me a lower reading than Hanna, just the opposite. Stick with one and go with it. Over the years I have tried many test kits to find the easiest with the most stable readings, I still have 2 different brands for each parameter incase i run out of one I have a backup and as long as I know what the difference is I am good with it.
Perfect thanks allot I'll just keep going off the Hanna it's quicker and easier and looking for color changes.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect thanks allot I'll just keep going off the Hanna it's quicker and easier and looking for color changes.
Yeah, looking at a digital number (hanna) is more satisfying than trying to watch the color change with good lighting and then reading syringe and going to the chart. Hanna is the way to go.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i was getting these numbers the whole time. Today i got 10.6. Those numbers were measured using red sea test kit. today i got a Hanna checker because i i just did the last red sea test and when i checked with the Hanna i got 9.2. so i checked again to make sure same exact number. So these numbers were more then likely wrong the entire time. How would I go about Dkh now.
Screenshot_20210827-154400.png

IMO, all of those values are within the normal error range for unchanging alk in the mid 10 dKH range.

Is the Hanna more accurate when it reads 9.2 dKH?

Maybe, maybe not.

But in the end, all of those numbers are OK. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back