Wrought Iron Butterfly in Reef??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jon!
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jon!

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2019
Messages
47
Reaction score
38
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I know they are generally considered nogo but wondering if anyone has direct experience with success or failure in a reef tank - LPS/SPS/Mixed/Mushroom/Other. Thanks.
 
Hi all. I know they are generally considered nogo but wondering if anyone has direct experience with success or failure in a reef tank - LPS/SPS/Mixed/Mushroom/Other. Thanks.
These are somewhat rare, very expensive and will eat softies like candy. NY aquatics has a few
 
From my experience they will eat most LPS, and zoanthids. Leather should be fine as well as established sps colonies.
That said, for long term success with this species lower water Temps (low to mid 70s) are needed. This will limit your coral selection to some degree.

My WIB were kept at 68....

~Michael
 
Polo reef has one in their reef tank, but looks like its mostly SPS in that one! But a butterfly is a butterfly lol these are super cool though
 
Thanks all. Mushrooms and anemones ok?
 
Reviving an old thread here, but thought I would chime in. I have a 3" wrought iron in a mixed reef. I don't have many corals since I'm mainly a fish guy, but I recently added a 'space invader' chalice and a candy cane trumpet coral, and the little bugger has been nipping at both within an hour of me adding both corals. Both colonies are fairly large, but something will have to give. My immediate plan is to remove the candy cane since it's super stressed. I also have bubble tip anemones, a leather coral and a gold torch, and thus far I've only seen the wrought iron nip at the leather, although it doesn't do it anymore..

Also open to selling the wrought iron..
 
Reviving an old thread here, but thought I would chime in. I have a 3" wrought iron in a mixed reef. I don't have many corals since I'm mainly a fish guy, but I recently added a 'space invader' chalice and a candy cane trumpet coral, and the little bugger has been nipping at both within an hour of me adding both corals. Both colonies are fairly large, but something will have to give. My immediate plan is to remove the candy cane since it's super stressed. I also have bubble tip anemones, a leather coral and a gold torch, and thus far I've only seen the wrought iron nip at the leather, although it doesn't do it anymore..

Also open to selling the wrought iron..
How much?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new