• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

WTB: Porites lobata

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a frag of this coral; this specific genus and species. This is most common in the hobby as the host coral for Christmas Tree worms.

Price negotiable; I guess pictures of the mother colony would be our starting point.

For the background of curious: this is allegedly the most common coral in the world. However, it doesn't have special colors, so it's very rare in the hobby.

Thanks!

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a little technical but P. lobata is not typically the host coral for Christmas tree worms, although it is another Porites species. Shouldn't matter anyways because the worms should host any Porites coral with a massive growth form/style

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, good to know. :) (or maybe :( )

By the way, a marine scientist should not contribute to a thread like this unless he knows a research org that'd be willing to sell a hobbyist a frag............... (since I'm told they're not uncommon research corals, because they are so prevalent). :D :D

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are indeed pretty common for use in labs for a variety of different studies, but a lot are either wild collected by the research institution or cultivated in lab for further use. Are you just looking for the coral or are you looking for the worms, because chances are you can order the worms and will likely get some sort of Porites

OP
OP
VR28man

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, that's for sure. In the future, I hope to get the worms too, but for now I'm not sure I can keep up with their care requirements and maintain water quality, yet. I was looking for just the coral. :)

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably as your LFS to get you one. Or ask if they have a rock with the worms and maybe frag off a piece without them?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back