WTB Skimmer

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get a skimmer like the SWC 120 or something like it. I saw it listed for $224 new so I'm looking to spend less than that for a used skimmer. If not the SWC then something comparable would be good too.

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check put the cadlights skimmers I've heard good things they are affordable ... Not to steal it thread but consider it a bump

OP
OP
angrycubano

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked it out and they look like the swc for same price. I'm gonna check and see if I can find them used. Do you have personal experience with those?

OP
OP
angrycubano

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that's the one I would get and it's more than enough for my setup. Mike brought up a good point that if it's too much skimmer with the ecobak I may be removing too many nutrients and starve my corals. Would you say I have small or medium bioload?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that's the one I would get and it's more than enough for my setup. Mike brought up a good point that if it's too much skimmer with the ecobak I may be removing too many nutrients and starve my corals. Would you say I have small or medium bioload?
For Eco-Bak to work properly you must have a very effective skimmer and that small of a neck on those skimmers does not impress me. Not saying they may not be OK just having tried almost all the top brands i would be leary of Mfg ratings as they tend to over rate products. I have never heard of any one using these so far and maybe a review from someone who has one may be wise before purchase.
Bill

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that you can have TOO MUCH skimmer. That it won't pull anymore nutrients than one that's rated just a little over what you have. But I also think this depends on the skimmer. I have heard that certain Reef Octopus skimmers are underrated for how they perform. But I can't really say if the Cad LIGHTS skimmer will perform this way or not. As far as starving out your corals, I don't think that is a reality when you run ecobak. You can feed your tank super heavy and it doesnt add the typical trates and phates that it would normally. Jon Warner suggests that you feed the tank heavy in order for the ecobak to really work at it's full capacity. And as long as you target feed your corals, I don't think you have to worry about starving them out due to an overrated skimmer.

I would say now, you only have a light to medium bioload. But if you were to go with the CAD lights skimmer, you would be free to load your tank up, and wouldn't have to worry about a new skimmer, if and when you upgrade the size of your tank.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO No such thing as too much skimmer, Jon Warner recommends liberal feeding of your tank but also states a very effecient skimmer is needed to remove the wastes collected by the EB.
What is puzzling is the lack of important info on the Pumps these use? They give no details on air water ratios only wattage. Plus the very small neck is troubling to me as this has been proven by trial and error by me that the small neck does not work as well. Look at all the High end skimmers they all have large necks for a reason.
JMHO
Bill

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and a buddy both bought one on black Friday the were 149 .Mine is for the 40b I'm building. He has his up and running and it's a beast !!!!

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under stocked 90 gallon I tell u what send me an email Removed and I can send u good detailed pictures or videos of what ever u really want to look at. But just looking at it and holding it its a stout well made product . It has adjustments for air and water so ypu really can dial it in. It's dead quiet, I mean just about silent.

Last edited by a moderator:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back