WYSIWYG or Not a WYSIWYG?

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it has and it still looks the same.
I've purchased majority of my corals especially chalices on the net and never had one brown out during shipment. Bleached yes but not browned out.
Thats very true as far as i know too ..

Sps and chalices work differently cause of shipping stress imo

Some of the chalices i have received were always bleached but never browned out ., some receded like a mm or two but were fine with in matter of days if my conditions are right.. Or little spikes exposed but never shipping stress causing something like this

To answer the question in thread its the same chalice just over saturated by the vendor like always :)

ZoaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look in person like it does in the vendor's photo?
Or does it look more like your pic in person?

Which is closer?

OP
OP
Reefhabit

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still a really nice piece
Maybe to you but to me it looks like garbage to me. Lol
Like I stated earlier, I would not have made the purchase if it looked the way it does now. Next time I will ask vendors for a recent photo so I guess buyers beware.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
HA I've got you beat! And really sorry to hijack your thread but i just have to share this. Not an lps but this colony was bought by me from a wholesaler based on their pic,(right)

Needless to say, this was probably the worst misrepresentation i have ever seen. Granted i should have known better but decided to give these guys one final shot after a number of rotten deliveries.

My pic ( left) upon arrival after about 6 hours in transit.

Im still a little jaded about this one lol. My expectations were extremely low, but I mean this is truly laughable and shameless if you ask me.

Screenshot%202016-03-23%2011.35.14_zps2zk66gsj.png

Last edited:

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA I've got you beat! An di just have to share this. Not an lps but this colony was bought by me from a wholesaler based on their pic,(right)

Needless to say, this was probably the worst misrepresentation i have ever seen. My pic ( left) upon arrival after about 6 hours in transit. Im still a little jaded about this one lol I mean this is truly laughable and shameless if you ask me.

Yikes

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA I've got you beat! An di just have to share this. Not an lps but this colony was bought by me from a wholesaler based on their pic,(right)

Needless to say, this was probably the worst misrepresentation i have ever seen. My pic ( left) upon arrival after about 6 hours in transit. Im still a little jaded about this one lol I mean this is truly laughable and shameless if you ask me.

what solution did he ship it in instead of saltwater ? lol some solution that turned the yellow pigment to blue ?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Blue? I wish its, dark green if anything. Ironically enough, I am pretty sure they used the very tactic i outlined in my satirical jab at camera setting abuse. so in a sense one could actually argue that it was my own fault lol!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA I've got you beat! And really sorry to hijack your thread but i just have to share this. Not an lps but this colony was bought by me from a wholesaler based on their pic,(right)

Needless to say, this was probably the worst misrepresentation i have ever seen. Granted i should have known better but decided to give these guys one final shot after a number of rotten deliveries.

My pic ( left) upon arrival after about 6 hours in transit.

Im still a little jaded about this one lol. My expectations were extremely low, but I mean this is truly laughable and shameless if you ask me.

Holy wow, that's terrible. I've been gotten a lil a time or two but never to that extreme. I really wish all vendors were honest but maybe that's a lil much to ask these days.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Holy wow, that's terrible. I've been gotten a lil a time or two but never to that extreme. I really wish all vendors were honest but maybe that's a lil much to ask these days.

LOl yeah this was as bad as it gets and they had hundreds of other pics done the same way. I can see some logic behind trying to swindle end customers, not saying its right in any way but i get the motivation, but wholesalers scamming vendors is just plain stupid.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely WYSIWYG. Photoshop is a wonderful thing for so many on line sellers. One of the biggest reasons I buy interesting pieces at the LFS, not on line.

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I would be ticked. I would expect it to at least look somewhat close to the pic.

Adam, no worries....you'll probably sit on that thing for three years and it'll be hot.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to make a coral looks like a million bucks (pictures only of course) .....
how about this (WYSIWYG)
1403198325_zpsdc46fa8e.jpg

This is my pic of the same coral. I tried many different lighting to get it to look like that. Doubt I can
IMG_20140617_222127_zpsccfa4bc5.jpg

A few years later. It has grown huge and grown many more heads. The colony looks good under blue LEDs. Under white light they look like this. You can see the texture, the color...kind of...
20160403_222104_zps60bncfyv.jpg

Last edited:

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to make a coral looks like a million bucks (pictures only of course) .....
how about this (WYSIWYG)
1403198325_zpsdc46fa8e.jpg

This is my pic of the same coral. I tried many different lighting to get it to look like that. Doubt I can
IMG_20140617_222127_zpsccfa4bc5.jpg

A few years later. It has grown huge and grown many more heads. The colony looks good under blue LEDs. Under white light they look like this. You can see the texture, the color...kind of...
20160403_222104_zps60bncfyv.jpg

Its amazing what a $1000 + camera can do compared to a cell phone pic. :) Honestly, I can tell from experience that in the case of your acan, I probably could have taken a real close picture to the original with my camera without much PS. It looks like it's morphed quite a bit since then.

Electrokate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe no photoshop... they can just adjust the settings in the camera. Ask for the original .jpg to be emailed to you and see if the metadata has the shooter's settings if interested.
If the substrate isn't white the photo may be inaccurate, whether it looks like a raging case of diatoms as in the seller's picture or all blue. If I want accurate colors I have to shoot under T5HO ATI bulbs, even then need a little color adjust. Sorry that is so frustrating! I've been ripped off too

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back