X-Mas Favia Dying!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely I'm loosing my 7yr old X-Mas Favia. I've absolutely no idea why. No other corals are affected. I had 2 frags from her that were reacting the same way, recently gave them away.
I've given her a bath using PolypLab's Reef-Primer. Says to treat STN/RTN and bacterial infections. Did no good at all.

One thing I've noticed is that the substrate beneath the coral has solidified. Rock hard! Don't know if it's the coral itself that's done this or calcium precipitation.

Please if anyone has any idea as to how I might save her it would be much appreciated. Hopefully it's not to late.
30f9f5231a8317ba9d5d0c63b0d4a53b.jpg

f9b6e58f34b69c80d7675ac196aad970.jpg

bea0aa7dd2368f873ab4cdbd9116e560.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. no clue. [HASHTAG]#reefsquad[/HASHTAG] bump

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Reef primer is potassium salts. The coral doesnt look to have any sort of infection right now. I would shade it and keep it in medium flow nd hope for the best. Majority of the lfs get favias in destroyed like this but recover after a month

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd check your levels and see if you've got something off in the numbers. Do you keep track of the cal, Alk, and Mag? Would you be able to tell if you've had a spike or dip in those areas?

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could have been the calcium levels dipping for that sort amount of time.It will usually take a long time for things to recover from that.Check your phosphates for possible fluctuations.I would give the substrate bed a little cleaning.Just for fun.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looking at the picture the corallite structure of the coral is showing thru the skin of the coral. Which means it is not getting the conditions it needs to be happy or the skin of the coral would be fully inflated.

Here is a X-Mas Favia fully inflated.
Questions: What type of lighting?
Have you ever ran a Trition test on your tank water to verify your test kit readings are with in acceptable limits?

Prism%20Favia%20101.jpg

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Favia for 7yrs. I'm quite aware of what it's supposed to look like. ☹️
It's hard for me to remember when I first noticed it was declining. So trying to figure out the exact cause is proving to be fruitless.
However having never encountered something like this I was hoping to find some possible causes. This has been going on for a while now and I've pretty much ruled out water parameters, I think.
I'm beginning to think it doesn't like LED's. Which I've been running for two years now. As I stated even the two smaller frags were/are showing the same condition. Yet NO other corals, LPS/SPS or Zoas are showing anything remotely similar. Including other Favias. So even lighting is doubtful.

I'm very meticulous with testing my parameters. Also run a Seneye Reef Monitor.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Favia for 7yrs. I'm quite aware of what it's supposed to look like. ☹️
It's hard for me to remember when I first noticed it was declining. So trying to figure out the exact cause is proving to be fruitless.
However having never encountered something like this I was hoping to find some possible causes. This has been going on for a while now and I've pretty much ruled out water parameters, I think.
I'm beginning to think it doesn't like LED's. Which I've been running for two years now. As I stated even the two smaller frags were/are showing the same condition. Yet NO other corals, LPS/SPS or Zoas are showing anything remotely similar. Including other Favias. So even lighting is doubtful.
what light, if I may ask?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used a Par meter to check the light level at the Coral itself? An what intensity are you running the light. I have the same light and run it at 30% intensity after checking the lighting with my Par meter. Favia's like about 200 par.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used a Par meter to check the light level at the Coral itself? An what intensity are you running the light. I have the same light and run it at 30% intensity after checking the lighting with my Par meter. Favia's like about 200 par.

200 par really? My overall intensity is 65%, light 11" from surface. Not even close to 200 par on my sand bed.
How are you getting 200 at just 30%? Are you using the Gen3 Pro?

Last edited:

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely I'm loosing my 7yr old X-Mas Favia. I've absolutely no idea why. No other corals are affected. I had 2 frags from her that were reacting the same way, recently gave them away.
I've given her a bath using PolypLab's Reef-Primer. Says to treat STN/RTN and bacterial infections. Did no good at all.

One thing I've noticed is that the substrate beneath the coral has solidified. Rock hard! Don't know if it's the coral itself that's done this or calcium precipitation.

Please if anyone has any idea as to how I might save her it would be much appreciated. Hopefully it's not to late.
30f9f5231a8317ba9d5d0c63b0d4a53b.jpg

f9b6e58f34b69c80d7675ac196aad970.jpg

bea0aa7dd2368f873ab4cdbd9116e560.jpg

I have 0 clue what I'm talking about but maybe it is the lighting. In the pictures it looks like the coral started to die from the base up; possibly less light at the base than the top? But eventually it's starting to effect the whole coral; just not as quickly because the top is in more direct light?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a weird problem. so sorry.
Dont underestimate the power of PAR. As one of the "LUX meter guys"some think I dont get PAR. PAR from a quality lamp can be incredible.(i acclimated my corals to new t5 with a meter recently, they did great, light shocked the corraline:eek:) So yes it is possible that the change in light has effected the favia. BUT recently hanging out with some retailers and Importers, they go through a lot, esp as far as light goes.
I dont know what favia prefer for light, but 200 Par would be considered medium, 45o is actually high, above that, science says is a waste and is still being researched.

Its the solids being accumulated at the base that give me pause. Never had a favia that long, it might be normal as its "putting down roots" or it excreting something as its health fails.

Doing an acclimation phase for a week or two definitely wont hurt the corals or tank, it's something to try. Another question would be have you changed much or added. Personally GFO is my nemesis. all my corals cry and faint when i even a little bit. Weird right?.

PAR lux stuff.
Radium blue MH @ 40,000 lux / constant of 54 = 740 par
Coralife 10,oo0k MH @ 40,000lux constant of 30:eek:=1,333 par
VERY good led @ 40,000 lux / constant of ????? (Dana Riddle says 57 but I have some doubts w radions they are NICE)
this is the math I do when I ask what s your lux. (yup estimation).

So switching from one source to another may have played havoc with the corals and zooanth metabolisms.
But it just doesnt "look" like that from all ive seen and experienced.
by going back into an acclimation mode it I think(opinons please) lower the metabolism(and hopefully let it work out the problem.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 par really? My overall intensity is 65%, light 11" from surface. Not even close to 200 par on my sand bed.
How are you getting 200 at just 30%? Are you using the Gen3 Pro?
Yes Gen 3 Pro is what I am using. When first got my light corals where not happy. But once I spent time working with the meter I was able to get them very happy. Radions are very powerful lights and can be way more destructive that people realise. Your eye's are terrible judges of light. We as humans are not very light sensitive as corals.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched this beautiful piece grow over the years. I remember when it was just a frag.

If I had to guess I would say it's the lighting change, too much lighting. Your tank is not that deep. It's a pretty common problem for certain corals to respond unfavorably to new LED set ups. I do not have a Gen3 but I have heard it's incredibly strong. Can you adjust the UV like you can with Hydra, if so I would decrease the intensity for awhile.

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought of reducing the UV. Just lowered the white to 20% I'll give that a try for sure. I also moved it to the back lower light area.

Update: The UV was at 100%. I've lowered it to 50% during the high points only. Is that sufficient or should I do 50% at all points?
Also having lowered the UV would it be safe to bring her back up front?

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept mine in 20-30 range when acclimating my tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back