Xenia growing out of control!

kpnosal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's beautiful but may be taking over my 29 gal tank, and it's very tall. Any suggestions? Frag?
4c326e749c046b1e9389c29cd8ec4366.jpg

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have that same issue in my tank. It pretty much took over. My LFS would give me a Store credit for 10 bucks a frag. I would simply cut and rubber band to some rock rubble until it attached. I still have a few stalks but can't seem to grow it like crazy anymore. Probably due to very low nutrients.

OP
OP
K

kpnosal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scubabum thanks for the reply. Do you think mine looks out of control yet? Would you recommend I take control before it gets too crazy?

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a picture of my tank right now!
They are so easy to keep, but not worth it! They will over run your tanks fairly soon!
Get them now while the getting is good!

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of Xenia. I think your tank looks great. It all depends on what else you want to add. I try and keep mine limited to the wall of my overflow. Others keep a little "island" on some rock , separate from your main aquascape. The LFS that used to give me credit closed shop. My LFS now, no longer want the Xenia so I simply prune and toss out. Have to be honest I hate tossing it out.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your tank looks cool as is!

IME, xenia outcompetes hair algae for nutrients, so if you get rid of it completely, you might end up with something less desirable in it's place, lol.

OP
OP
K

kpnosal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@baughn17 thanks! And I hear you. I've been having very good luck with no algae (other than the initial stuff that comes with cycling the tank) and a fairly clear tank. Though I take very good care of it and my levels are all good. Perhaps I just keep and eye on it and take control of it keeps growing ?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks to be getting a little out of hand. I used to trim mine by peeling them off at the base.

OP
OP
K

kpnosal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vic67 and do what with it? I'd hate to toss it! Is there a way to keep it trimmed and not so long?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vic67 and do what with it? I'd hate to toss it! Is there a way to keep it trimmed and not so long?
You can cut the stalk and the remaining tissue will regrow into more Xenia. That's the only thing you can do about the length I think. There is still demand for Xenia although some do treat it as a weed. I've sold some on CL but now I just give it away.

2xal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely talk to the LFS about taking some in trade, otherwise I like the idea of keeping it around to suck up nutrients that would otherwise be consumed by algae that isn't so pleasant to look at.

kevindo123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia are hard to get rid of once they are attached to rocks. I had to throw my entire rock out after seeing it grow back so quickly after trimming it.

I'm not sure if there are predators that would help to eat it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 190 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back