Xenia in the wild

  • Thread starter Thread starter VR28man
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
1,178
Reaction score
1,039
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting – this colony is not in the coral reef, but in a very silty sand bed. In other footage, I’ve seen it in on rocks, but that was also in a place with a lot of runoff from the shore.

Its food comes not from plankton (which xenia apparently can’t digest) but by consuming DOC.

Check out 5:15 For some Goniopora action, followed by the Xenia.

 
Last edited:
So you want to get a Xenia colony out of the ocean?
 
So you want to get a Xenia colony out of the ocean?

If i lived in Lembeh (and it were legal) maybe.

But I want just to share a video of it in one of its natural environments. As well as the interesting fact that it feeds off of DOC, and does not have a stomach to digest plankton. Explains a lot I think......
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 7.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new