Xenia pulses after lights out

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just got some Xenia in my tank and it does not pulse when the lights are on. When they go off it will start pulsing. Any idea why? They are under two t5ho bulbs and power heads are about 20x tank volume.

shimps1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of that, but when you think about it it makes sense. It's getting it's nutrients from the light during the day, and trying to catch food at night. Do you also have your pumps slow down at night?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i just got some Xenia in my tank and it does not pulse when the lights are on. When they go off it will start pulsing. Any idea why? They are under two t5ho bulbs and power heads are about 20x tank volume.
ihave xenia thats not supposed to pulse, only to pulse around night time. With all the research noone is sure the exact reason why xenia pulses but some say its for water dispersion or when your ph goes above 8.3, witch kinds makes no sence to me considering with anymore flow in my sump wete they are they woukd blow to bits and my ph swings down to 8.05 during night hours

OP
OP
A

awood0909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change the flow ever, it stays constant. The person who gave me the Xenia showed me the mother colony and it pulsed quite a bit

Last edited:

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulsing xenia in two tanks, one with really low nutrients, the other with higher. The xenia pulses during the day in both tanks and closes at night. In the low nutrient tank it pulses rapidly, while in the other, very slowly. The pH in both tanks is 8.3. During feeding or after I dose nitrate, they pulse faster.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back