Xenia Taking Over Tank

tnuhnivad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia is starting to take over my tank. Now I know a lot of people hate it but I really love the look, however, the utter chaos and eagle eye zoa/polyps are just now starting to take off. Unfortunately day by day my Xenia gets closer and closer to blocking out their light. If anyone can tell me how to control the spread of growth of the Xenia or perhaps explain a method for moving my polyps.
17b68a97d0f53b638a898053b2346b55.jpg
5739ff565905d799eeae1193da035bce.jpg
2d24f9c4488d42f253b48c4235d29ff1.jpg

anthonywesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove my xenias with tweezers and then you can take them to your LFS and exchanged or get a credit by them.

OP
OP
tnuhnivad

tnuhnivad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remove my xenias with tweezers and then you can take them to your LFS and exchanged or get a credit by them.
Using them as trade in value had crossed my mind. Mine are anchored to the rock pretty good. When I use my hand and try to pull they spew slime and I can't get a good grip. Im afraid if I use anything sharp I'll damage them trying to pull them off. I tried to cut a larger one off with scissors at the base. Managed to stick it to a frag disk held with a rubber band but it shriveled and failed to stick after a few days and got shredded in my power head.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenias are nice when kept on an island .. away from other rocks .. this way there is less chance they can spread !
When fragging I always use a piece of net over the stone with elastic bands .. leave for a couple of weeks .. then 9 /10 times they have attached too the rock !

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks can tell you how to murder it
:p

Those look pretty easy.
Use a utility knife razor blade and rasp the rock just under the Xenia. Scrape it off like burnt pancake.

You probably want to clean the razor with alcohol and put a pice of tape across the back of it.

Where you see the fat round bits it's not attached well as it trying to spread. It kinda also how you know it dropping babies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenias are nice when kept on an island .. away from other rocks .. this way there is less chance they can spread !
When fragging I always use a piece of net over the stone with elastic bands .. leave for a couple of weeks .. then 9 /10 times they have attached too the rock !
Floating Xenia island.
IMG_1878.JPG

Old magnets or glass scrapers.

Back