XP Aqua Ultimate ATO troubles in the middle of the night

SwiftStorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My XP Aqua ATO has worked great for the last 5 months or so, then at midnight the last two nights it goes off because water has reached the high limit sensor. I unplug it then plug it back in in the morning. Has anyone had similar issues or know what is going on?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My XP Aqua ATO has worked great for the last 5 months or so, then at midnight the last two nights it goes off because water has reached the high limit sensor. I unplug it then plug it back in in the morning. Has anyone had similar issues or know what is going on?
If you have optical sensor it is either got something on it, or it has failed….they do fail….
Start by cleaning the sensor and ensure snails can’t get on it.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with my ATO LITE model. works fine during the day, but every now an again, it over-fills the tank at night, even filling past the high water sensor. only happens at night.

have not figured out any cause or a solution for it.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had snails block the overflow reducing the water level and in so triggered the ato. When they move the sensor high gets triggered. Maybe you experience something similar.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with my ATO LITE model. works fine during the day, but every now an again, it over-fills the tank at night, even filling past the high water sensor. only happens at night.

have not figured out any cause or a solution for it.

I should correct my previous post. I do have a solution for the problem, but it isn't ideal.

I currently have the ATO plugged into a smart plug so that I can set a timer for the ATO. Since the overfilling issue only happens at night, I have simply started turning off the ATO smart plug at night. I have the smart plug only set to come on whenever my lights are on. When the tank lights go off, so does the ATO, until the next day when the lights come back on an the ATO refills the tank back up... So basically, my ATO now only runs during the day, and is switched off at night. Not ideal, but it hasn't over-filled the tank since. Evaporation is lowest at night, so it really doesn't fluctuate too much at night. Not an ideal solution, but seems to be working OK for now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back