Xport PO4 does it work? Any experience?

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find a thing about this on the net. Is it new? It's made by brightwell

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/xport_po4t.php

I don't want to be the guinea pig but if I have to....

My only real concern is they recommend 1-3x water flow which in a nano with 20 gallons of water is just no feasible. Does running more through it lower phosphates too much? It's the only thing I can come up with since 1-3x water volume varies soo much from tank to tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably works. It's just another binder like gfo or poly pad etc.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had good results with it and found it to be pretty forgiving as far as water flow and absorption. I started fairly conservatively and added a few more cubes until I was able to maintain the levels I was aiming for.

You can place it in a media bag in the overflow or in the media section that some nanos have built in.

OP
OP
chevegan

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposed to last over a year so don't think its anything like gfo or phosgaurd. If it's anything like their brick brick I wonder if it cultivates bacteria that actually consumes phosphate??

OP
OP
chevegan

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had good results with it and found it to be pretty forgiving as far as water flow and absorption. I started fairly conservatively and added a few more cubes until I was able to maintain the levels I was aiming for.

You can place it in a media bag in the overflow or in the media section that some nanos have built in.

How many gallon system? How many cubes? why did you change it out for something else? and what did you change it out for? :)

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallon system? How many cubes? why did you change it out for something else? and what did you change it out for? :)

It was a 75g frag tank that used about 8 cubes a month. I ran it until I broke down the tank last year and now run GFO in a reactor with carbon.

I switched back to gfo mainly because I always had great success with it and with a new build in process, I wanted to try out the spyglass reactors.

Honestly either gfo or xport po4 is great in any tank. In the nano I'd probably run xport though due to space restraints.

OP
OP
chevegan

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a 75g frag tank that used about 8 cubes a month. I ran it until I broke down the tank last year and now run GFO in a reactor with carbon.

I switched back to gfo mainly because I always had great success with it and with a new build in process, I wanted to try out the spyglass reactors.

Honestly either gfo or xport po4 is great in any tank. In the nano I'd probably run xport though due to space restraints.

Why does it say over 1 year on their site? man that's way off if you were going through 8 cubes per month lol

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it say over 1 year on their site? man that's way off if you were going through 8 cubes per month lol

I never could figure that out. I believe it has to do with the bio load in the tank. A month seemed to be as long as the cubes would absorb before Po4 started to climb again. I just found it easier to change the cubes every month when I did a WC.

Now I will admit that I didn't seed the cubes in microbactor 7 like they suggested. I just rinsed and put them in the tank. If you soak them, you may get better results.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeding one now, for my 125 fowlr I can't get the nitrates down. I have a good size refugium and using nopox. still not happy. I've red some good things and will be sure to post my experience as it comes in.

OP
OP
chevegan

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah man glad to hear. What you using to seed, the microbactor?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only been 2 weeks, not sure how long it may take for any results; I know the other methods of nitrate reduction takes at least a few weeks for results. My nitrates had been off the charts of a red sea test kit which is 50ppm; test may be reading more of a true 50ppm now; so minimal if any change so far.

The tank is a 125g with a 55g sump; 23g of water volume dedicated to a refugium. An eshopps skimmer for 200g and run chemipure elite. I dose 12 mil of nopox daily; brightwell does suggest carbon dosing. It's a juvi predator tank with the fish only 2-2.5" now; including a blueline, niger, and clown triggers with a passer angel. The real culprit is a jeweled moray eel which appears to be full grown now at 2' and thick as h.

003.jpg

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recieved my Xport po4 cubes today, i wanted an easy to use ferric oxide media to pop in my canister filter without the hassle of adding a reactor or the downfalls of bagged gfo

It rinsed VERY easily (just dipped in RODI a couple of times and it was clean) popped a couple of cubes in done ...with the surface area of the porous media i can easily see it performing at least as well as gfo

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still using the Xport po4 cubes 8 months later....my phosphate is undetectable on a Nyos phosphate test, i use 2 cubes in my canister filter for my 6 gallon nano that i change every 2-3 weeks

So quite pleased with the product and how easy it is to use and definitely so much easier and more efficient than bagging up GFO

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder if these xportcubes would work good for me. I have my rock curing in brutes tubs and i'm cycling them. My phosphates tested at 0.15. I want to get them down to around 0.03. Wondering if these would help me get it there.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to revive an old thread.
I'm running a 16 gallon nano. Using the suggested maths, I am supposed to run 3-4 cubes.
This was a month ago.
I'm now up to 17 cubes at once and only managed to maintain my phosphates at around 0.06.
I feed sparingly. The only fish are 3 clowns, and I feed a pinch of pellets twice a day. Every 3-4 days, I target feed my corals with some reef-roids and lps pellets.

Any idea what gives? The blurb claims so many % better than GFO, yet another LFS I went to said that it was rubbish and nothing beats GFO...

Could it be so much PO4 bound in my rocks?

Harleyguy99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135gal Cube and and large sump (160 gal or so total vol less rock and sand) and have been fighting Phosphates for a year. I have a 25 gal fuge full of Chaeto and a reactor using 250ml of Rowaphos every 2 weeks and cant keep my PO4 under .1. I was thinking my Caribsea Liferocks were leaching PO4 so I just swapped all of them out with Dry rock from the ocean. My phosphates went down to .06 but are still slowly going up again. After a week they are at .16 after a 30% water change. So I'm also going to swap out my Marinepure blocks. I have had quite a few of them in the sump since day 1 and I think they might have absorbed PO4 and are leaching. I have 10 fish, 5 are pretty good sized Tangs and a large Foxface. I only feed them 2 cubes and 3 pinches of small pellets once a day. So im not over feeding. I think Im going to swap the Rowaphos out for these Xport PO4 cubes in my reactor and see if that and getting rid of the Marinepure Blocks will make the difference. Wish me luck.

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to bump this thread as well. It seems like this product has been on the marker for at lease 5-6 years now and there is so little information between here and YouTube.
I purchased it a few months ago to have a po4 remover on hand (just in case). I found it sponsored on brs website so went with it (seemed easy to use).
I have a 40g reef, and not seeing much of a reduction in my phosphates. I may be using too little, but can’t tell. The math they provide vs. what other people are using (from what little posts I have found) seem to vary drastically. I’m hesitant to throw a ton of cubes in at once .. so I’ve been taking it slow with not much effect

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back