XR15 Pro or Hydra 26 HD's?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jimbo662
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2013
Messages
4,943
Reaction score
2,168
Location
Austin, Tx
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advise...in the middle of building a new LPS tank. Dimensions are 36" x 24" x 12". Plan was for it to be a look down style tank. My initial plan was to use a 6 bulb T5 but just realized that's going to defeat the purpose of a look down tank. I've had a 3rd gen XR15 before and really liked it. I can't decide which of these two or if both would work equally well...especially since the hydra's are $50 less expensive.

Thoughts / opinions?
 
Do you have any experience with the Hydra's?
I've not had any personally. But I have fellow reefer friends that do. The nice thing about the AI is the wireless. Overall my buddy's prefer their Radions over their AI's. Seems mainly due to their experience with coral growth, coverage and aesthetic looks (fixture, mounts and spectrum of the light)
 
Last edited:
I've not had any personally. But I have fellow refer friends that do. The nice thing about the AI is the wireless. Overall my buddy's prefer their Radions over their AI's. Seems mainly due to their experience with coral growth, coverage and aesthetic looks (fixture, mounts and spectrum of the light)

Thanks, yeah the one thing I didn't like about the Hydra's was the mount...it just looks so flimsy.
 
I would say go with the radion but given your tank dimensions, 1 xr 15 may not be enough. I currently have a 4 foot tank with 2 xr-30 pros on it and they just barely cover the tank. I will probably end up getting a 3rd light at some point in the future
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new