XR30 Gen5 Blue Cracked When Opened

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings and salutations!!!
Hope y’all are doing great!!! Soooo I bought a Radion XR30 G5 Blue this past weekend, finally decided to break the bank and get it!!!
However, when I opened it and turned it over to see the front, it was cracked on all four screws... looks like they were over tighten and caused the crack in the face plate. Has anyone else experienced this?

I went back to my LFS, great guy, he exchanged it, we opened the new one, it too had the same issue, cracked due to over tightening. It was his last blue,He offered me a Pro, but I was afraid it was gonna have the same issue and after months of contemplating, I decided for the blue over the pro. Didn’t want the pro at this point... He’s gonna get more in on Wednesday, hopefully one isn’t cracked. Maybe this is why they sell the diffuser on the side, to cover up this flaw!!! SAS!!!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a thread on this:

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send a ticket to Ecotech. It may be a first release of the light, as they had a problem with this and have a solution, aka, new bezel.

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a thread on this:
Wow!!! I can’t say I’m glad I’m not the only, because that really sucks!!! I researched on the difference between the blue and pro, I should’ve done a research on quality and issues when purchased!!! Man, I might have to just go back to AI, no issues with them, I wanted something different. Thanx for sharing this. :)

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send a ticket to Ecotech. It may be a first release of the light, as they had a problem with this and have a solution, aka, new bezel.
Thanx for the info, waiting to see what my LFS tells me. I’m calling him today, he was reaching out to his supplier. Let’s see what happens.

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call them and they will send u a new benzel for free. There very good about it.
I hate phone calls!!! Trying to avoid all that, lol... but might end up having too. Waiting to see what my LFS says later this afternoon. But will probably end up making that call. Waih.... lol

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should try the pro I prefer it to the blue for a display, blue for my frag tank. I find the pro can go very blue but the blue cannot go very white.
Think there’s any cracking issues on the Pro? Also, I went with the blue for the AB+ spectrum, would that be possible on the pro as well?

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think there’s any cracking issues on the Pro? Also, I went with the blue for the AB+ spectrum, would that be possible on the pro as well?
Yes pro can do ab+ out of the box. It was a manufacturing issue with first batch.

unless your tank is deeper than 24” you’re not going to lose much par at all, some people just want to run full wattage, pro has warm white leds the pro doesn’t.

most of the Aussie tanks are running pros and tuning after, and similarly smaller tanks or frags running blues.

unless you intend to run 100% power then I suggest a pro.

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes pro can do ab+ out of the box. It was a manufacturing issue with first batch.

unless your tank is deeper than 24” you’re not going to lose much par at all, some people just want to run full wattage, pro has warm white leds the pro doesn’t.

most of the Aussie tanks are running pros and tuning after, and similarly smaller tanks or frags running blues.

unless you intend to run 100% power then I suggest a pro.
Well I have a Red Sea Reefer 170. It’s 18” deep. I don’t think I’m going to run the 100% power and I do plan on adding the reefbright leds as well, those are only blues and violet I believe.
So I’m thinking the pro would be the better option now... why they gotta make it difficult with these choices!!! Lol

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have a Red Sea Reefer 170. It’s 18” deep. I don’t think I’m going to run the 100% power and I do plan on adding the reefbright leds as well, those are only blues and violet I believe.
So I’m thinking the pro would be the better option now... why they gotta make it difficult with these choices!!! Lol
I regret the blue on my frag tank only because I prefer my peaks to be whiter, and both can still do glow in the dark blue later at night.

If you’re adding further blue strips you can go with a pro for sure. I bet the resale will be good too in Australia the resale on pro is higher than blue, no one wants xr30 blues (xr15 blues are still selling well)

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS is getting the face plate in tomorrow, he’s gonna swap it out for me and we’ll be ready to go!!! Guess I’m going with the blue... thank you all for the information, greatly appreciated. Y’all be safe... Awesome Reefing!!! SAS!!!

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my radion blues. I had the pros and switched to the blues. It’s all about person preference.

OP
OP
TRAPO

TRAPO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my radion blues. I had the pros and switched to the blues. It’s all about person preference.
It’s always about personal preference, or at least it should be!!! That’s what makes us all unique. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it, can’t wait to rock the blues!!! :cool: be safe...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back