Y’all had me worried for nothing!

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

So I’ve been reading hit or miss stories about adding a second clown to a well established female. But also reading do this or that or whichever. So I combined advice and think I have success!

One of our LFS was having a 50% off saltwater livestock sale and so I was able to snag a small ~1 inch Mocha Storm clown for $35. Based on reading, it said get one significantly smaller than the current clown (she’s about 2.5 inches) and best to try an acclimation box.

So the clown made it through quarantine. Upon observation, I noticed it’s bottom lip sticks out a little further than the top (I’m guessing part of inbreeding/designer aspect) but no signs of any disease. I put my acclimation box in about 2 hours before the clown. The female showed no interest. Put the mocha storm in, the female became very interested and circled around the box for a bit.

I left the clown in there for about 3 hours and it appeared the female had lost interest. I released him into the tank, the neon dottyback went straight for him to inspect him and keep him out of his territory, then the female noticed he was free-swimming in the tank and came over, they did their little dance (I guess that’s what it’s be called) and they’ve been hanging out together ever since. The male generally won’t stray further than 4-5 inches from the female. I was figuring there’d be fighting, territory chasing, etc but none occurred.

No pics right now as they’re back behind the rocks next to the overflow (the females sleeping spot). But yea, just a thanks for all the information in the previous threads and hoping for continued success!

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice congrats! Mocha clownfish was my first ever sw fish when i was 13 and still one of my favs

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back