Yanari’s salty corner, or…my first saltwater tank: what I learn and what I don’t…

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is meant to be my build thread (am I even doing this right?). Hopefully this is being started in the right place on the forum…

So I’ve got a 90 gal Aqueon tank. Picked it up new from a big box store for a good price. I originally intended to do a large freshwater tank, I’ve kept freshwater fish for a few years. The thought entered my mind to do salt and I started chatting with the helpful dude at the counter about it. He started talking about salinity and the relative specificity of it…scared me off. I was thinking “this level of detail might be well beyond my grasp…I don’t think this is for me…”

Grabbed my tank and went home. When I got home, I had this itch in the back of my brain…I couldn’t scratch it…”it can’t be THAT unforgiving…if it’s that particular, there must be a decent tool for this stuff, no one is eyeballing their salinity levels to the thousandth degree right…?”

Then I fell down the YouTube hole…lol. The thing that actually sealed my fate was actually the idea of building my own overflow and sump…I was dabbling around looking at required/recommended equipment and I was shocked at the price of sumps…I do realize the convenience of purpose built equipment but man…this seemed like something that more or less…I could make myself, and then I found some really cool plans for a diy pvc overflow system wherein I wouldn’t have to drill a tank. (I’m deathly afraid of broken glass…it’s a thing…lol)

Then there was Bulk Reef Supply, I am working through the 52 week series. I initially stumbled upon the 5 min setup guide. It appears to be a more recent series than the original 52 week series. Having a good suggestion for recommended products and explanations for their choices has been very valuable to me.

So in this string, I’m probably going to chronicle my build, but also some of my experience and some of the knowledge I pick up along the way, but also, depending on the interaction, I’ll probably use this wall as a sounding board as well.

More to come. More pics, more thoughts, more salt

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward...

20230604_203550.gif

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi ,Following along...
Welcome to the reef... :)

OP
OP
Yanari

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I am going through resources online and creating a shopping list of components for my new tank…stuff I HOPE will meet my needs completely. Thus far I’ve got lumber for a tank stand. I found a great set of plans for a braceless tank stand strong enough for a 90 gal. Plans are from RocketEngineer on a dif saltwater forum site. 2x6 boards on top for length and multiple 2x4s throughout used for support. I’ve had a problem finding straight true lumber, I may end up going back to Home Depot a few times til I can find lumber that meets my quality standards. Worst case I’ve got a lot of extra lumber for other projects. I just don’t feel great putting half a ton of weight on warped lumber…lol

So I’ve got a tank design and will eventually soon have lumber to spec.

I found plans on YouTube here: approx 10-20 bucks of pvc and some manual labor for an overflow setup, no drilling, gets water down to a 40b that I’m gonna have running under the tank. So I’ll probably have about 125g of continuous water circulating through the tank. I like the idea of that much water to account for new user error.

I’m going to pick up the Fiji cubs 40b baffle kit for my diy sump. If you hadn’t picked up yet, the idea of manageable DIY is appealing to me. I have limits on the type of complexity that I am willing to take on, but within reason, I feel like getting my hands on the process will be very gratifying.

Looking at a BRS 5 state RODI system. I looked into creating my own protein skimmer but I feel that is going to amount to a level of complexity that would scare me off, so I am going to go with a ReefOctopus 150INT 6” internal protein skimmer. I DID find a cool set of plans for a DIY carbon reactor here on R2R. I wil very likely build that. I’ll find a link and edit with that info once I can lay hands on it.

I can’t decide if I want to do a fleece roller, sock, or just through some aquarium filter floss in a chamber and call it good?

Gonna get a titanium double 600w heaters w built in redundancy and an electrical cabinet to sort of manage all of the electronic guts of the project.

I’m going to fill the tank with ~ 55# of real reef rock and an appropriate amount of CaribSea sand

This is where I am as of right now. Everything except the lumber and tank are “I’m gonna…” things as of right now. Moving into a new house, got a new dog coming…so it’s a process. I’ll take pictures of the project and new acquisitions as they come together throughout the process. I do encourage input and feedback. I know that everyone has a million and one ideas and things that have worked for them.

OP
OP
Yanari

Yanari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent all night last night and most of today researching 8020 aluminum as a building component because I realized that the lumber I got for my tank stand was not as straight as I’d like it to be. Realistically I don’t feel like any lumber I pick up is gonna to be to the standard that I desire, hence looking into something more rigid, like aluminum. I do wonder if, with the right amount of bracing, the lumber would be forced into spec. Problem is…I bought the lumber already…idk if I want to shell out another 350~ bucks for another set of materials. The labor isn’t an issue. The doing of it is what I’m finding rewarding. I just want a solid, sturdy, good lookin build. ‍lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back