Yasha Goby freaking out?

aydensauce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I bought a Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp pair and placed them inside a 7g tank alongside a tail-spotted goby. After the initial day, the Yasha and shrimp have found each other and are now settled inside a small crevice inside a rock, while the tail-spotted goby has been settling next to a pvc pipe. While they seem to be getting along for the most part (besides the occasional territorial behavior from the tail-spotted goby), the yasha seems to be stressed. During the day it would eat fine and generally stay near its borrow with the shrimp, while at night, it would dart around near the surface. While I have a lid on the tank there is an opening area where the water is cycled through a filter and pumped back overhead the tank and back into the water, I’m worried it might end up jumping outside the tank. However, my main concern is this weird behavior from a goby that I thought to be a bottom dweller. Could this be an oxygen problem? or could this be a behavior that calms down after a while.

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, I bought a Yasha Goby and pistol shrimp pair and placed them inside a 7g tank alongside a tail-spotted goby. After the initial day, the Yasha and shrimp have found each other and are now settled inside a small crevice inside a rock, while the tail-spotted goby has been settling next to a pvc pipe. While they seem to be getting along for the most part (besides the occasional territorial behavior from the tail-spotted goby), the yasha seems to be stressed. During the day it would eat fine and generally stay near its borrow with the shrimp, while at night, it would dart around near the surface. While I have a lid on the tank there is an opening area where the water is cycled through a filter and pumped back overhead the tank and back into the water, I’m worried it might end up jumping outside the tank. However, my main concern is this weird behavior from a goby that I thought to be a bottom dweller. Could this be an oxygen problem? or could this be a behavior that calms down after a while.
Would I be able to see a picture of the tank? With a small tank, you have to be very specific with how you set it up, especially if you have multiple fish species. Also, what are your parameters?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would initially freak out and do something similar when the shrimp was snapping at night. But I do think we need to see the tank setup.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a small tank for 2 fish, especially for 2 loner fish that need their own cave. Not a great mix in such a small tank and might be better to return one. To be honest.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back