Yasha goby gender

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had this guy for a while now and they've been pretty lonely cause I can't seem to find any pistol shrimp. I'm thinking about picking up some fish from live aquaria so I wanna try to pair my goby. Can someone help me sex this fish?!

20210414_115713.jpg 20210414_115721.jpg 20210414_115714.jpg

OP
OP
HookedReefing

HookedReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Male, identifiable by the black spot on the suction-cup-fin (fused ventral fins). Females (and immature juveniles) don't have that spot.
Thank you so much! Do you happen to have any recommendations as to where to buy fish online? Live aquaria website seems to be acting up

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually prefer to buy these locally. The store also ships but for a Yasha goby shipping would pretty double the cost of the fish.

Be aware that all the RWU captive bred on Diver's Den are immature juveniles and there is a good possibility that Stonogobiops species don't change sex. So half of them may actually be males that just don't show the black spot yet.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually prefer to buy these locally. The store also ships but for a Yasha goby shipping would pretty double the cost of the fish.

Be aware that all the RWU captive bred on Diver's Den are immature juveniles and there is a good possibility that Stonogobiops species don't change sex. So half of them may actually be males that just don't show the black spot yet.

Would the best bet be to purchase a dozen and wait for them to mature? Then split them up?

Would you happen to know if RWU does local sales? I'm from the area and wondered if they have an exclusive deal with Live Aquaria or not.

-Andrew
Yes, I missed this thread a year ago.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the best bet be to purchase a dozen and wait for them to mature? Then split them up?

Would you happen to know if RWU does local sales? I'm from the area and wondered if they have an exclusive deal with Live Aquaria or not.

-Andrew
Yes, I missed this thread a year ago.
Statistically speaking, you only need 6 to get an almost guaranteed male and female. Ask anybody that breeds cichlids lol
Are these hermaphrodites? If they are, best to find a smaller one if you can find one.
Most if not all gobies are gonochoristic, meaning they have set sex from birth. If you're curious, this also applies to tangs, butterflyfish, triggers and filefish, seahorses and their relatives, blennies, and all moray eels except the ribbon moray. There's probably others I'm not thinking of, but that's a lot of fish to name.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back