Yay my tank survived 2 weeks of my absence and no check ins whatsoever

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an unexpected Christmas trip to VA made my tank get left unattended for 2 weeks with no check ins at all. I got home today with some great new frags from Jeff at Reef Chiefs in the Norfolk area of VA, but was apprehensive to look at the tank. Other than a lower than normal alk and calc readings and two fallen corals everything was happy. Diamond Goby had managed to hop into the overflow so I will keep him there until I can fatten him up again. Other than 3 hungry fish everything was great. I adjusted the dosers to help keep up with the demand, but I am very excited about how well things went since I didn't have time to setup for anyone to check in on it.
Success Pics:
IMAG0273.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0277.jpg

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my goby in my sump the other day. I havent seen him since I put him in the tank........that was in JUNE!!!!!!!! He was yellow but now hes the color of yours.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On at least three different occasions I have had fish show up in a different tank than where I left them. They would jump in the overflow, go through the sump, through the pump, and take one of the forks in the return manifold, and get spit out in a different tank. Since there's a 33% chance they could get returned to the same tank they left, it could have happened more often than I know.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow u are really lucky but if u tank is mature enough with enough pods that the fish can thrives on then you i hardly feed my clownfish and clowngoby because i have alot of pods

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow u are really lucky but if u tank is mature enough with enough pods that the fish can thrives on then you i hardly feed my clownfish and clowngoby because i have alot of pods
Yep but there isnt too much food in the overflow...

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On at least three different occasions I have had fish show up in a different tank than where I left them. They would jump in the overflow, go through the sump, through the pump, and take one of the forks in the return manifold, and get spit out in a different tank. Since there's a 33% chance they could get returned to the same tank they left, it could have happened more often than I know.
were they small fish? Im wondering how they got through the pump. that is impressive

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Ill feel a little better going on trip. Did you have an auto feeder or anything?

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were they small fish? Im wondering how they got through the pump. that is impressive

Yes, they were small: Chromis, Tiger Goby, Sailfin Goby. There's a 4 inch Eyelash Goby in the sump now. I'm just waiting for him to take the big ride.

OP
OP
Chameleon

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. Ill feel a little better going on trip. Did you have an auto feeder or anything?
Nope...the tang got to nip at what algae it could, the clown ate idk what, the wrasse and the mandarin worked hard to decimate my pod populations, and the goby did his usual sand sifting until whenever he found himself in the overflow

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressive. I know my tank could go for a few weeks without anyone touching it but feeding the fish is another battle in itself. My two Wrasses and pygmy angel would likely be OK, but the butterfly and two large tangs.. yea they would not fare so well. I shutter to think.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back