Yellow box fish not eating

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a yellow box fish 1 day back....it's not eating....I have tried everything from shrimp,bloodworms frozen,artic shrimp,green nori,rednori,spirullina flakes,pellets nothing seems to work....it seems to pick on the live rocks....but is not at all interested in the foods...I don't get mysis in my place...n I can only hatch brine shrimp but can't raise them to adults...it was a impulse buy the fish looked so cool tat I couldn't control....now I'm worried tat it may starve to death...can anybody help...n will it nuke the tank if it dies

IMG_20200221_182818.jpg

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best chance is frozen mysis or artemia/brine so try to get your hands on that. It will not starve in a day, give it a couple of days to adjust to your tank. Also put your pumps on feed mode, they like to eat from the substrate by blowing in the sand.
It can kill other inhabitants when it dies, but it looks like a small specimen. How big is your tank? I would not worry about that at this moment, just make sure you have carbon on the shelf just in case.

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best chance is frozen mysis or artemia/brine so try to get your hands on that. It will not starve in a day, give it a couple of days to adjust to your tank. Also put your pumps on feed mode, they like to eat from the substrate by blowing in the sand.
It can kill other inhabitants when it dies, but it looks like a small specimen. How big is your tank? I would not worry about that at this moment, just make sure you have carbon on the shelf just in case.
can I feed it baby brine shrimp?....bcz I don't know how to raise them...I tried just the entire lot died....the fish is very small...just above 1.5inch.....my tank is 5 feet...400 litres including sump...I'm already running carbon in some media bags....
On a different note r u from India? thought so from Ur name...thanks for the helps anyway ✌️

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any masstick on you? My old boxfish couldn't resist it! Also what do you mean "I tried just the entire lot died" did it die?

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any masstick on you? My old boxfish couldn't resist it! Also what do you mean "I tried just the entire lot died" did it die?
I mean the entire lot of brine shrimp died when I tried to raise them...

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I feed it baby brine shrimp?....bcz I don't know how to raise them...I tried just the entire lot died....the fish is very small...just above 1.5inch.....my tank is 5 feet...400 litres including sump...I'm already running carbon in some media bags....
On a different note r u from India? thought so from Ur name...thanks for the helps anyway ✌
I am from Holland and had a yellow boxfish for about 5 years. I think baby brine is very small for it. In my experience they like bigger (frost) food.

OP
OP
Leonidas1453

Leonidas1453

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my bad lol did you get him shipped to you or from your LFS?
I got him from my LFS... actually box fishes r very rare in my area so there is a high demand so when I saw one I couldn't wait so I got him without seeing it's eating or not...it was a impulse buy

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him from my LFS... actually box fishes r very rare in my area so there is a high demand so when I saw one I couldn't wait so I got him without seeing it's eating or not...it was a impulse buy

Oh Im sure you know what Im going to say about impulse buys so Ill skip that part anyways if the fish doesn't eat for a week or two maybe consider taking him back to the LFS. You could also ask what your LFS was feeding him. Try bloodworms

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is the box fish doing? I'm still in research mode for this fish.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 71 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 7.8%

Back