Yellow boxfish white spots?? What are they

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a lot of research, talked to many salt water experts, CAN NOT pin point what is going on with my boxfish. He has white spots all over and they look almost fuzzy. Will include a photos, won’t let me attach a video so they aren’t great . I tried a fresh water dip and nothing came of it( already figured it’s not ich anyway) they are spreading and I am worried for him.. no one seems to know what he has. Any ideas?? No other fish in my tank have anything on they’re skin and are fine. Water parameters are good.
ACF91399-A007-48A2-ACF2-AA6AFD0E0A44.png
A53F8A90-3588-4439-98E5-45E0AFFFC980.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have done a lot of research, talked to many salt water experts, CAN NOT pin point what is going on with my boxfish. He has white spots all over and they look almost fuzzy. Will include a photos, won’t let me attach a video so they aren’t great . I tried a fresh water dip and nothing came of it( already figured it’s not ich anyway) they are spreading and I am worried for him.. no one seems to know what he has. Any ideas?? No other fish in my tank have anything on they’re skin and are fine. Water parameters are good.
ACF91399-A007-48A2-ACF2-AA6AFD0E0A44.png
A53F8A90-3588-4439-98E5-45E0AFFFC980.png
Pics are a little fuzzy, but may be mucus cones associated with cryptocaryon which is Marine ich. Other possibility is bacterial tufts which I dont think these are. As these fish are prone to ich, assure the dots dont increase in the next day or two. If so, they can be tricky and dont fare well with hyposalinity but First choice would be General cure or Coppersafe at 2.0 monitored with reliable test kit such as Hanna brand.

OP
OP
F

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a little fuzzy, but may be mucus cones associated with cryptocaryon which is Marine ich. Other possibility is bacterial tufts which I dont think these are. As these fish are prone to ich, assure the dots dont increase in the next day or two. If so, they can be tricky and dont fare well with hyposalinity but First choice would be General cure or Coppersafe at 2.0 monitored with reliable test kit such as Hanna brand.
Thank you I will look into this

OP
OP
F

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are some better photos maybe this helps

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are pretty large to be ich (even given that size is relative and this is a small boxfish). I think these are mucus plugs, a reaction to some stressor. Does the fish eat and behave normally?

What are all those white lines in the last few pictures? Nematodes on the glass?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are some better photos maybe this helps
Yes they are and thank you. These are mucus plugs . While copper based treatment is most effective, General cure is safer for this type of fish and will take longer to be effective. If copper, I recommend use of Coppersafe or copper power at therapeutic level 2.0 -2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
F

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are pretty large to be ich (even given that size is relative and this is a small boxfish). I think these are mucus plugs, a reaction to some stressor. Does the fish eat and behave normally?

What are all those white lines in the last few pictures? Nematodes on the glass?

Jay
He does eat normally and seems content for the most part. Not sure which white lines you’re talking about but it’s either just residue from the salt splashing out of in the corners there is like some type of sealant.

OP
OP
F

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are and thank you. These are mucus plugs . While copper based treatment is most effective, General cure is safer for this type of fish and will take longer to be effective. If copper, I recommend use of Coppersafe or copper power at therapeutic level 2.0 -2.25 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
should I quarantine all of the fish? And if so , should I quarantine them is this tank? I have another tank on hand that is 10 - 15 gallon. I know the boxfish might not be comfortable in that tank for a long time so that’s why I am curious if there is a way I could turn my 70 gal into a quarantine tank .. just don’t know what I would do after the treatment is over, would I need to change all of the water? Let me know what you think is best.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
should I quarantine all of the fish? And if so , should I quarantine them is this tank? I have another tank on hand that is 10 - 15 gallon. I know the boxfish might not be comfortable in that tank for a long time so that’s why I am curious if there is a way I could turn my 70 gal into a quarantine tank .. just don’t know what I would do after the treatment is over, would I need to change all of the water? Let me know what you think is best.
Likely no need to but as Jay too indicated- mucus plugs. At times, they subside but at times they increase. I believe the number increased overnight. Often this is due to skin irritation and in lieu of ich and reason I said to observe overnight. Start with assuring water is prisitine and not elevated in ammonia-ph-salinity levels.
A good reef safe and general cure is Ruby Rally Pro. You can add that Before taking steps to set up quarantine and treatment. Ruby Rally will also protect other occupants and treats an array of issues like bacterial, skin, worms, velvet and more and safe with inverts

OP
OP
F

fishlover2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
Likely no need to but as Jay too indicated- mucus plugs. At times, they subside but at times they increase. I believe the number increased overnight. Often this is due to skin irritation and in lieu of ich and reason I said to observe overnight. Start with assuring water is prisitine and not elevated in ammonia-ph-salinity levels.
A good reef safe and general cure is Ruby Rally Pro. You can add that Before taking steps to set up quarantine and treatment. Ruby Rally will also protect other occupants and treats an array of issues like bacterial, skin, worms, velvet and more and safe with inverts
I will do these things and update. Thanks for your help

lemonchello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
I have the same problem -white Spots on my Yellow Boxfish. Could you please write an update what do you think was it ?
treatment plan ?
Results ?
I will be very grateful for your response.
Many thanks ,
Karina
IMG_9118.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 120 42.6%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 45 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back