Yellow Fiji Leather?

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say that the Tonga yellow leathers can get very close, if not just as yellow as their the Fiji counterparts. That is, before they sit under blue LEDs and turn green/brown.
There is a hypothesis that they need more green light (as found in halides) to keep/re-develope that true "canary yellow" which I hope to attempt soon on the recent import pictured below. Definitely looks like a Sarcophyton elegans to me!

I used a yellow Orphek filter and have edited to represent the best approximation of its true appearance.
IMG_4087 2.jpg

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that the other colony from this shipment was actually more yellow and past colonies were also very yellow.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Soliz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it has settled for the past two weeks…. The polyps just started sprouting recently. I don’t think it’s a true yellow Fiji :/ but it is a nice coral and gets fairly big during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 132

nickman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that it has settled for the past two weeks…. The polyps just started sprouting recently. I don’t think it’s a true yellow Fiji :/ but it is a nice coral and gets fairly big during the day.
That certainly looks like it had some potential to color up even more and that morphology is reminiscent of S. elegans so just give it some time. Any idea what kind of PAR numbers its getting?
IME leathers with take as much light and flow as you can give them (acclimate over time, obviously) and their colors tend to improve in higher light/flow. I've got some colonies that have gone from tan/brown with stubby closed polyps to green/yellow/purplish with outstanding polyp extension with a modest bump in flow and light.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a nice coral....and agree not true (unfortunately).....I was ready for a frag LOL.......

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back