yellow finger polyps not opening

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmorrison
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmorrison

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 12, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
0
Location
norwood pa/Delco
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a yellow finger gorgonian about a week ago, and have yet to see more then a few polyps at a time open. I'm aware that it is non-photosyntheic and generally only opens at night. I've checked several times during the nigh, and even dosed the tank twice with phytoplankton and still have got nothing more then 4 polyps at a time. It seems to be getting thinner as well. what should I do?
 
Is it covered in algae? How big is it? How much flow and light is hitting it?
 
In my experience they stay open pretty much 24/7, but they take a little while to start opening. There might be something it does not like, I usually place them in light but at the bottom and where there is enough flow to make polyps move but not enough to lay it over. When you spot feed it, do it downstream and let the current bring the food to it. Don't spot feed it unless the polyps are extended though, otherwise you are just going to overfeed your tank. What are the rest of your parameters? I have noticed they don't like low alk.
 
Anything New, start eating? Mine is fully open at feeding time and catches a lot of uneaten food, but will close must of the rest of the day. He does open at night alot. I still target it though once a week.


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 40 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new