Yellow head jawfish injury

Murdock_Magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not really a disease but my conch must have hit the donut that my jawfish had its burrow in and shifted rock a little. Later on I noticed the jawfish laying on sand bed (rarely was out in open) it appears that there are “bruises” on the jawfish. I removed and placed in QT as I assume the rock shifted and hit the fish :( my question is anything I can try to do outside of QT? I added a photo for reference on how it was laying in tank vs QT w what looks red to me

845E53B9-247C-4B0F-B21B-55259D1BE57D.jpeg C5A5814A-21BC-4E72-9709-835361A24A90.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn’t anything you can do if it is an injury, just keep the lights dim to reduce stress while it’s out of the burrow and hope for the best. Is it breathing fast, how long have you had it?
Jay

OP
OP
M

Murdock_Magoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There really isn’t anything you can do if it is an injury, just keep the lights dim to reduce stress while it’s out of the burrow and hope for the best. Is it breathing fast, how long have you had it?
Jay
Breathing really heavy and a month. It’s been fine until today so I assume something happen w it’s burrow. Since there is nothing in thsfe that could bully it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing really heavy and a month. It’s been fine until today so I assume something happen w it’s burrow. Since there is nothing in thsfe that could bully it
If you didn't actually see the injury happen, and if it has been breathing heavy for a month, then I would say the fish isn't injured, but rather, it is moribund (dying) from some gill diseases, most likely flukes. These are pretty tricky, they come on slowly and the fish seems fine, but just starts breathing faster over a period of days/weeks and then they crash like this. Once they reach this point, there isn't anything really to be done, as a freshwater dip (to buy some time) would likely kill it at this point - sorry!

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back