Yellow tang and possible ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mardel says 5ml per 4 g but at two different seminars, they stated 1.4-1.5 per gallon which would be .55 - .6 per 4 gallons.

To further confuse these numbers, see the post below from Brew12:

I want to put some info out which will hopefully clarify the large amount of confusion when using Mardel's Coppersafe.

If you look at the Fritz website they indicate that Coppersafe maintains a total copper of 0.15ppm to 0.2ppm. This is not correct. Not only is this not the recommended dosage for chelated copper but it isn't what their recommended dosing achieves.
They recommend dosing at 5ml per 4 gallons. This works out to 1.16ppm of copper. The problem? Chelated copper needs to be maintained between 1.5ppm and 2ppm to be therapeutic.
To make this even more challenging, the API test kit tends to read on the high side, making the problem even worse.

Have I confused you enough yet? Sorry. Can't help it.

So here is my best recommendation.

Actual dosing should be 1.6mL/gallon to 2.1mL/gallon. I recommend adding 1.6mL of coppersafe to 1 gallon of salt water and taking a test with your API kit. Compare this to your chart and try to think of this color as 1.5ppm, or the minimum recommended level. Then dose another 0.5mL Coppersafe into that gallon and take another test. Try to remember this shade as proper for 2ppm, or the highest level you want.

For slowly raising copper levels as is appropriate for Ich on all but the most sensitive fish, I recommend dosing 0.3mL/gallon every morning and evening for 3 days. This should get you to 1.8mL/gallon at the end for a concentration of 1.7ppm. Another 0.3mL/gallon dose will put you right at the top end if you want to add it.

I think there are some errors in that text there. Fritz is wrong if they are saying coppersafe is 0.15 to 0.20 mg/l - that is the dose for ionic copper.

Brew12 says, " 5ml per 4 gallons. This works out to 1.16ppm of copper". That isn't true either. When you dose it at that rate you get 2.5 ppm (although some people have reported getting lower readings, 2.25 or so).

When I dose Coppersafe at the rate given on the bottle, I get 2.50 ppm measured with a Hanna checker and a spectrophotometer. That works out to be 1.25 ml per gallon.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think there are some errors in that text there. Fritz is wrong if they are saying coppersafe is 0.15 to 0.20 mg/l - that is the dose for ionic copper.

Brew12 says, " 5ml per 4 gallons. This works out to 1.16ppm of copper". That isn't true either. When you dose it at that rate you get 2.5 ppm (although some people have reported getting lower readings, 2.25 or so).

When I dose Coppersafe at the rate given on the bottle, I get 2.50 ppm measured with a Hanna checker and a spectrophotometer. That works out to be 1.25 ml per gallon.

Jay
Just did a calculation and agree would be based on non-chelated form

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back