Yellow Tang Disease

Ruzica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

Recently I posted about my Yellow Tang that has been rescued from a tank that had Marine Velvet. It was fine so far, and now it just looks absolutely bad. As can be seen it's getting covered in this white film, and has big red mark bruise-looking like that is now getting bigger and its whole poor body is getting covered. Today refused to eat. Is there anything I can do ? Does anyone thinks it's Marine Velvet? It breaks my heart to see it like this. I have attached some photos.

Thank you all in advance

IMG_0426.jpeg IMG_0427.jpeg IMG_0429.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone.

Recently I posted about my Yellow Tang that has been rescued from a tank that had Marine Velvet. It was fine so far, and now it just looks absolutely bad. As can be seen it's getting covered in this white film, and has big red mark bruise-looking like that is now getting bigger and its whole poor body is getting covered. Today refused to eat. Is there anything I can do ? Does anyone thinks it's Marine Velvet? It breaks my heart to see it like this. I have attached some photos.

Thank you all in advance

IMG_0426.jpeg IMG_0427.jpeg IMG_0429.jpeg
This is a skin irritation, likely bacterial and appears to have developed over time. Never wait for a given fish to get this far. Treat in a separate quarantine tank with seachem Kanaplex and maintain Good water quality and diet as fish is somewhat thin. Feed some foods such as
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ruzica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a skin irritation, likely bacterial and appears to have developed over time. Never wait for a given fish to get this far. Treat in a separate quarantine tank with seachem Kanaplex and maintain Good water quality and diet as fish is somewhat thin. Feed some foods such as
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
Thank you for your reply. We have been treating it for weeks now, and it was getting healthy and happy finally and than red bruise showed up 2 days ago, and white film all over it just over night. This is in the quarantine system already, would you recommend it should be isolated from other fish and put in separate system?

Much appreciating your reply

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. We have been treating it for weeks now, and it was getting healthy and happy finally and than red bruise showed up 2 days ago, and white film all over it just over night. This is in the quarantine system already, would you recommend it should be isolated from other fish and put in separate system?

Much appreciating your reply

From the other thread, I had suspected that this fish had ich, not velvet. There was not the rapid breathing associated with velvet. What were you treating the fish with? I'm worried that the ich continued and now the fish has a secondary bacterial infection.

Do you have any antibiotics available? Seems you are in the UK, and they may not be available to you there.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Ruzica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the other thread, I had suspected that this fish had ich, not velvet. There was not the rapid breathing associated with velvet. What were you treating the fish with? I'm worried that the ich continued and now the fish has a secondary bacterial infection.

Do you have any antibiotics available? Seems you are in the UK, and they may not be available to you there.

Jay
It is only because of the white film I associated it with Velvet, all the other fish we rescued that unfortunately didn't make it went the same way. At final, they had like transparent bubble all around them. Yellow Tang looked like it has the most chances to survive.
I attached the medicine I used for treatment.

Many many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpeg
    IMG_0441.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is only because of the white film I associated it with Velvet, all the other fish we rescued that unfortunately didn't make it went the same way. At final, they had like transparent bubble all around them. Yellow Tang looked like it has the most chances to survive.
I attached the medicine I used for treatment.

Many many thanks

Yes, I think the white film was a secondary bacterial infection due to uncontrolled ich. The Polyp Lab medic is a peroxide salt. That compound may have some benefit in treating ich, but they throttle back on the dose to make it "reef safe" and that also makes it "ich safe". I'm not suggesting it be dosed higher, just that there is a history of this product not working well against parasites.

Jay

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 93 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back