Yellow Tang had brown pathches on body

kahjun896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My yellow tang starts to have these brown patches near its tail, and some near its eyes.. It has been in my tank for 1 months, was doing great until few days back.. It's eating well, i'm feeding it Formula 2 pellets and NLS and mysis..I tried to feed it nori but it's not even getting close to my clip, no idea why..While feeding, if the pellets drop on the sandbed, it will eat from the sand bed, not sure if this is causing the problem due to it accidentally took in some sand..

It also has some signs of HLLE 'scars' near the eyes, but i am not sure whether it's HLLE..

Can anyone tell me what i should do to treat this issue ?

Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like septicemia, a bacterial infection that is fairly common in yellow tangs. Do you have the ability to treat the tank with antibiotics, or can you move the fish to a treatment tank? This issue is pretty difficult to treat, and I don't know what medications you have available to you, but Furan-2 combined with Maracyn 1 would be the combination that I would try.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kahjun896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like septicemia, a bacterial infection that is fairly common in yellow tangs. Do you have the ability to treat the tank with antibiotics, or can you move the fish to a treatment tank? This issue is pretty difficult to treat, and I don't know what medications you have available to you, but Furan-2 combined with Maracyn 1 would be the combination that I would try.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. I'm not able to remove the fish to a treatment tank. i googled for septicemia, is Seachem Kanaplex + Focus a good combination to try ? dosing in the fish's food.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the response. I'm not able to remove the fish to a treatment tank. i googled for septicemia, is Seachem Kanaplex + Focus a good combination to try ? dosing in the fish's food.
Antibiotics and Focus are difficult to dose properly, take a look at this article:

Don't just guess at the dose, that can never really work.

Somebody here on R2R is working on a spreadsheet calculator for using Focus properly, but he isn't finished with it.

I did find an old reference for Kanamycin in food that does not require knowing the fish's body mass. Herwig lists a dose of 25 to 100 mg per kg of food daily for 7 days (go for 75 mg I think). The math is a bit tricky, but you start with the % active Kanamycin in Kanaplex (32%) and then mix up some Focus with water, weigh it, and set up a ratio; if the dose is 75 mg Kanamycin per kg of food, then you would need to use 225 mg of Kanaplex per kg of food. Lets say your focus + water weighs 100 grams....225/1000 as x/100. Solving for x gives you 22.5 mg of Kanaplex per that much Focus.

Whew - that gave me a headache.....

Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang had an eye infection so I caught it with a trap and put it in an acclimation box on the tank.

I did daily 30 min baths in a bucket with double dose of NFG for 10 days and it cleared right up.

Tangs are not small fish but it was fine for those 10 days in the box.

Perhaps a antibiotic bath is a solution if you can not set up a QT.

OP
OP
K

kahjun896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang had an eye infection so I caught it with a trap and put it in an acclimation box on the tank.

I did daily 30 min baths in a bucket with double dose of NFG for 10 days and it cleared right up.

Tangs are not small fish but it was fine for those 10 days in the box.

Perhaps a antibiotic bath is a solution if you can not set up a QT.
mine would be extremely difficult to catch, it likes to hide in its cave

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine would be extremely difficult to catch, it likes to hide in its cave

is it eating? I got them in a fish trap eventually when they gave in and reallllllly wanted nori. The angelfish and butterflies were easier to catch though!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 28 50.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back