Brown spots on yellow tang

richos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow tang developed brown spots a few weeks ago.

1000023531.jpg

Heavily stocked 450l reef system with SPS, LPS and a few softies and 20 fish (4 large). Tank is fully automated with Apex and usually runs with no intervention when I'm away for more than 4 weeks at a time. Had no issues for last 4 years.

Doing building work last few months and didn't notice my ATS, UV, roller mat and Rowaphos reactor all broke down. Must have been for a while, as when I did tests after noticing a few corals starting to deflate and these reddish brown spots on Tang, nitrate was already at 243 (usually 65) and Phosphate at 0.3. (Usually 0.07). Later I also noticed tiny white specs on Yellow and Powder Blue tang, and PBT and some other fish scratching against rock.

Three weeks later YT is fine and corals are starting to inflate.
1000024902.jpg

This is what I did to fix it.

- three water changes 30%, 50% and 50% (previous water change was 24 months before)
- new phosphate reactor
- new UV (D-D 80w at 1000l/h on my 450l tank)
- added new blue neon goby (previous died 6 months before, and had no luck adding golden one)
- started feeding norri daily (had stopped for 6 months during build)
- started feeding frozen mysis soaked in seachem Vitality (only been feeding Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets on auto feeder, with weekly norri before)

Also got new ATS and installing new rollermat today, but issues resolved before these.

Currently Nitrate is back to (my) normal of 65 but phosphate still a bit high at 0.26 but that should come down as gfos reactor pulls residual phosphate from rock

So appear to have fixed issues with no medication.

Turning point was adding the blue neon goby. Yellow tang immediately parked next to it and didn't move for about a week. Brown immediately started to fade. I suspect the brown was bruising from it scraping against rocks although I never saw the YT doing this. Now that YT is fine PBT has taken its place at the cleaning station :).

1000024265.jpg

Personally, my view is there are always parasites and bacteria in the water, but healthy fish tolerate them better, a good cleaner fish keeps their skin reasonably clear, and an overpowered UV wat low flow rates keeps the numbers down. In my case everything failing at once created a perfect storm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

richos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neon goby in action

Attachments

• 20240205_133315.mp4
    55.8 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Yellow tang developed brown spots a few weeks ago.

1000023531.jpg

Heavily stocked 450l reef system with SPS, LPS and a few softies and 20 fish (4 large). Tank is fully automated with Apex and usually runs with no intervention when I'm away for more than 4 weeks at a time. Had no issues for last 4 years.

Doing building work last few months and didn't notice my ATS, UV, roller mat and Rowaphos reactor all broke down. Must have been for a while, as when I did tests after noticing a few corals starting to deflate and these reddish brown spots on Tang, nitrate was already at 243 (usually 65) and Phosphate at 0.3. (Usually 0.07). Later I also noticed tiny white specs on Yellow and Powder Blue tang, and PBT and some other fish scratching against rock.

Three weeks later YT is fine and corals are starting to inflate.
1000024902.jpg

This is what I did to fix it.

- three water changes 30%, 50% and 50% (previous water change was 24 months before)
- new phosphate reactor
- new UV (D-D 80w at 1000l/h on my 450l tank)
- added new blue neon goby (previous died 6 months before, and had no luck adding golden one)
- started feeding norri daily (had stopped for 6 months during build)
- started feeding frozen mysis soaked in seachem Vitality (only been feeding Vitalis Platinum Marine Pellets on auto feeder, with weekly norri before)

Also got new ATS and installing new rollermat today, but issues resolved before these.

Currently Nitrate is back to (my) normal of 65 but phosphate still a bit high at 0.26 but that should come down as gfos reactor pulls residual phosphate from rock

So appear to have fixed issues with no medication.

Turning point was adding the blue neon goby. Yellow tang immediately parked next to it and didn't move for about a week. Brown immediately started to fade. I suspect the brown was bruising from it scraping against rocks although I never saw the YT doing this. Now that YT is fine PBT has taken its place at the cleaning station :).

1000024265.jpg

Personally, my view is there are always parasites and bacteria in the water, but healthy fish tolerate them better, a good cleaner fish keeps their skin reasonably clear, and an overpowered UV wat low flow rates keeps the numbers down. In my case everything failing at once created a perfect storm.
This often happens when there is a vitamin deficiency or poor water quality
What is your ammonia level-ph and you need to add to fiet
Foids such as:
Formula 2 frozen, LRS herbivore diet, small plankton, mysis shrimp and TDO pellets

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back