Yellow Tang with brown markings

  • Thread starter Thread starter Moray26
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2020
Messages
39
Reaction score
7
Location
Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Have a yellow tang which I’ve had since 2020. It’s in a 180 Gallon reef. No issues ever. Been running a UV for years. Noticed his body is showing red markings. Water quality seems good and no issues with other fish. Eats fine. Mix of pellets, seaweed sheets and mysis soaked in vitachem/garlic guard. From my research it might be septicemia?

I’ve ordered seachem Kanaplex. Nervous I won’t be able to catch him and move to QT. If that’s the case. Can I soak their food in it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6579.jpeg
 
Hello. Have a yellow tang which I’ve had since 2020. It’s in a 180 Gallon reef. No issues ever. Been running a UV for years. Noticed his body is showing red markings. Water quality seems good and no issues with other fish. Eats fine. Mix of pellets, seaweed sheets and mysis soaked in vitachem/garlic guard. From my research it might be septicemia?

I’ve ordered seachem Kanaplex. Nervous I won’t be able to catch him and move to QT. If that’s the case. Can I soak their food in it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6579.jpeg
This looks to be bacterial but also may be vitamin deficiency. Treat fish in separate tank using seachem neoplex and what foods are you feeding it?
 
This looks to be bacterial but also may be vitamin deficiency. Treat fish in separate tank using seachem neoplex and what foods are you feeding it?
Mix of pellets, seaweed sheets and mysis soaked in vitachem/garlic guard. Diet hasn’t changed in years. Always remain consistent. Again no other fish showing any signs of anything.
 
Hello. Have a yellow tang which I’ve had since 2020. It’s in a 180 Gallon reef. No issues ever. Been running a UV for years. Noticed his body is showing red markings. Water quality seems good and no issues with other fish. Eats fine. Mix of pellets, seaweed sheets and mysis soaked in vitachem/garlic guard. From my research it might be septicemia?

I’ve ordered seachem Kanaplex. Nervous I won’t be able to catch him and move to QT. If that’s the case. Can I soak their food in it?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_6579.jpeg

Yellow tangs often show that redness, but that is usually seen in newly acquired, newly shipped ones. I can't recall ever seeing it in a long term captive like that. The Internet will tell you that this is "septicemia", but that is a serious internal bacterial infection, and many of these fish just get better on their own, so I doubt that it is truly that issue.

Don't soak the food in Kanaplex! That needs to be dosed very carefully, else it can cause toxicity in the fish's kidney. The proper dose is 50 mg per kg of fish mass. I have a way for you to estimate that, but adding it to the water is easier and safer (but that needs to be done in a treatment tank).

If you want to try the oral route, here is the file on how to do that safely:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.765689/
 
Mix of pellets, seaweed sheets and mysis soaked in vitachem/garlic guard. Diet hasn’t changed in years. Always remain consistent. Again no other fish showing any signs of anything.
Diet is insufficient for this fish. Consider foods such as:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally
 
Thank you for all your suggestions! I’ll give it a go and hope for the best!
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new