Yellow tang red stains

vollkomm

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2023
Messages
14
Reaction score
5
Location
Budapest
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Three days ago, my yellow tang developed red stains on its pectoral, ventral, and dorsal fins. I would like to ask for your help in identifying the spots. Is it possible that it is hemorrhagic septicemia or mechanical injury, or something else?

I have quarantined all my fish from the beginning, the yellow tang has been in the aquarium for two years, the last fish were added about six months ago. We constantly measure the water parameters, send ICP monthly and correct them according to the moonshiner method. The fish are given frozen food twice a day, which we have been soaking in vitamins since the spots appeared, and 4 algae plates are added to four different spots in the aquarium every day. The Achilles tang, which was added six months ago, is starting to dominate the aquarium, but apart from chasing, I have not experienced any serious aggression. The yellow tang is currently behaving as before, swimming, eating (no other changes, rapid breathing etc.). The yellow tang's condition hasn't deteriorated, maybe the spots have faded a bit, but I would rather say he's stagnating.

Can the spots heal on their own, or would antibiotic treatment be absolutely necessary (if I don't have to, I wouldn't stress the fish)? What are your thoughts?



1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
 
Hi Guys,

Three days ago, my yellow tang developed red stains on its pectoral, ventral, and dorsal fins. I would like to ask for your help in identifying the spots. Is it possible that it is hemorrhagic septicemia or mechanical injury, or something else?

I have quarantined all my fish from the beginning, the yellow tang has been in the aquarium for two years, the last fish were added about six months ago. We constantly measure the water parameters, send ICP monthly and correct them according to the moonshiner method. The fish are given frozen food twice a day, which we have been soaking in vitamins since the spots appeared, and 4 algae plates are added to four different spots in the aquarium every day. The Achilles tang, which was added six months ago, is starting to dominate the aquarium, but apart from chasing, I have not experienced any serious aggression. The yellow tang is currently behaving as before, swimming, eating (no other changes, rapid breathing etc.). The yellow tang's condition hasn't deteriorated, maybe the spots have faded a bit, but I would rather say he's stagnating.

Can the spots heal on their own, or would antibiotic treatment be absolutely necessary (if I don't have to, I wouldn't stress the fish)? What are your thoughts?



1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
fISH IS PLUMP AND HAVING 6 TRUE HAWAIIANS, i SEE THIS WHEN THERE IS A VITAMIN DEFICIENCY AND EVEN STRESS RELATED.
WHAT FOODS ARE YOU FEEDING IT?
 
Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Three days ago, my yellow tang developed red stains on its pectoral, ventral, and dorsal fins. I would like to ask for your help in identifying the spots. Is it possible that it is hemorrhagic septicemia or mechanical injury, or something else?

I have quarantined all my fish from the beginning, the yellow tang has been in the aquarium for two years, the last fish were added about six months ago. We constantly measure the water parameters, send ICP monthly and correct them according to the moonshiner method. The fish are given frozen food twice a day, which we have been soaking in vitamins since the spots appeared, and 4 algae plates are added to four different spots in the aquarium every day. The Achilles tang, which was added six months ago, is starting to dominate the aquarium, but apart from chasing, I have not experienced any serious aggression. The yellow tang is currently behaving as before, swimming, eating (no other changes, rapid breathing etc.). The yellow tang's condition hasn't deteriorated, maybe the spots have faded a bit, but I would rather say he's stagnating.

Can the spots heal on their own, or would antibiotic treatment be absolutely necessary (if I don't have to, I wouldn't stress the fish)? What are your thoughts?



1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I usually see this in newly acquired Hawaiian yellow tangs, not long term captives. It is often a stress response, but can also have a bacterial component. If the fish shows no other symptoms (lack of feeding, rapid breathing or scratching) I would just watch it for now.....
 
Upvote 0
fISH IS PLUMP AND HAVING 6 TRUE HAWAIIANS, i SEE THIS WHEN THERE IS A VITAMIN DEFICIENCY AND EVEN STRESS RELATED.
WHAT FOODS ARE YOU FEEDING IT?
Two-two cubes of frozen mysis shrimp in the morning and evening, 4 Fauna Marin nori sheets, occasionally Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets during the day.
 
Upvote 0
I usually see this in newly acquired Hawaiian yellow tangs, not long term captives. It is often a stress response, but can also have a bacterial component. If the fish shows no other symptoms (lack of feeding, rapid breathing or scratching) I would just watch it for now.....
Thank you very much Jay, I really hope that his condition improves on its own. I will continue to monitor him and update this post if there is any change in his condition.
 
Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

Three days ago, my yellow tang developed red stains on its pectoral, ventral, and dorsal fins. I would like to ask for your help in identifying the spots. Is it possible that it is hemorrhagic septicemia or mechanical injury, or something else?

I have quarantined all my fish from the beginning, the yellow tang has been in the aquarium for two years, the last fish were added about six months ago. We constantly measure the water parameters, send ICP monthly and correct them according to the moonshiner method. The fish are given frozen food twice a day, which we have been soaking in vitamins since the spots appeared, and 4 algae plates are added to four different spots in the aquarium every day. The Achilles tang, which was added six months ago, is starting to dominate the aquarium, but apart from chasing, I have not experienced any serious aggression. The yellow tang is currently behaving as before, swimming, eating (no other changes, rapid breathing etc.). The yellow tang's condition hasn't deteriorated, maybe the spots have faded a bit, but I would rather say he's stagnating.

Can the spots heal on their own, or would antibiotic treatment be absolutely necessary (if I don't have to, I wouldn't stress the fish)? What are your thoughts?



1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
Hi, had to jump in, about 6 months before we changed tanks from 100g tall to 125 our YT had the SAME red blotches. He is at least 15yrs old plump deep yellow. Yes, true Hawaiian before the block. Our salinity was at .030 or higher! We dropped salinity and about 3 or 4 weeks, he’s great! Your YT will probably be ok!
Debra
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new