Yellow Tang Sick? Need help.

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet : Selcon Soaked Mysis and Brine everyday
: LPS pellets once a week ( literally stills from corals )
:Nori Sheet every other day
Eats literally so much food. No matter what he will continue to eat until I stop feeding.

I have been seeing this types of poo almost every day. Never use to happen before. Just finished the second dose of Prazipro yesterday. What should I do??? The poo is stringy and whitish clear.

I posted 3 pictures of the tang.

YT Front.jpg YT Full .jpg YT Far.PNG

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

A few questions. Anything new in the tank and how long have you had him. What prompted the prazi treatment?

It looks like constipation. But I am not the disease guy.

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

A few questions. Anything new in the tank and how long have you had him. What prompted the prazi treatment?

It looks like constipation. But I am not the disease guy.
Had him in a fairly small tank for around 3 months with my OG clowns and OG firefish. They have never had diseases. Then moved him to be the solo fish in a bigger tank. And out of nowhere, in the new tank, I start to see the poo around 3-4 weeks in. The timing is the weird part. I hope it is constipation. He also has normal brown poo, but he ends his pooing with this white stuff.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

He sounds ok, @Jay Hemdal is the man to confirm.

You are feeding well. I would make a small shift to a bit more veggies less meat. About 70/30. Up the Nori back the brine down or get spirulina brine. People have mentioned to feed a pea to help constipation, but I think a small adjustment to more veggies and a little less amount at feeding should work.

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

He sounds ok, @Jay Hemdal is the man to confirm.

You are feeding well. I would make a small shift to a bit more veggies less meat. About 70/30. Up the Nori back the brine down or get spirulina brine. People have mentioned to feed a pea to help constipation, but I think a small adjustment to more veggies and a little less amount at feeding should work.
First of all, thank you so much for your help! I am still a beginner at all this so getting outside help has been immense for me. Also okay, I will definitely transition more to nori. Hopefully over time the new feeding will help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some observations - I’m not a big fan of feeding roasted sushi grade nori, dried is better, and dried aquarium algae is even better (two little fishies or similar brand).
When I hear that a fish is eating everything offered, I always think, then offer more!
Is there any correlation with the last food fed and the color of the feces?
Jay

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some observations - I’m not a big fan of feeding roasted sushi grade nori, dried is better, and dried aquarium algae is even better (two little fishies or similar brand).
When I hear that a fish is eating everything offered, I always think, then offer more!
Is there any correlation with the last food fed and the color of the feces?
Jay
I only have the 2 little fishies brand, I use the red and green sheets. I have not noticed a trend, however I can keep my eyes on that. One question I have is that I noticed while he does eat the nori, he seems to go after the brine and mysis a lot more. If i reduce shrimp feeding and increase the amount of 2 little fishies nori available, is it possible he will starve himself?

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the 2 little fishies brand, I use the red and green sheets. I have not noticed a trend, however I can keep my eyes on that. One question I have is that I noticed while he does eat the nori, he seems to go after the brine and mysis a lot more. If i reduce shrimp feeding and increase the amount of 2 little fishies nori available, is it possible he will starve himself?
My tang has exactly this issue currently and I'm pretty sure its constipation rather than worms as it was a sudden change. I *try* to feed him sheet that is garlic infused as his main source but just like yours he will eat anything in the water which means when I'm feeding frozen to everyone else he is in there getting the biggest share and I'm pretty sure that is what is causing it.

I have switched to ensuring he has sheet in the tank way before normal feeding time to try and reduce his hunger at that time and basically having as much sheet as he can possibly consume on hand. Its only been a few days so can't comment if this is going to work but a tang will not starve on just algae it should always be their primary food source.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept yellow tangs on 100% pellets and mysids - not a great scenario, but one dictated by the way they were housed. I would not reduce the mysids/pellets at the expense of more nori - I would feed both; the nori for grazing on over time, and the mysids/pellets for added protein / fats at regular feedings 2x day.

I haven't used LPS pellets for feeding fish, what about offering the tang New Life Spectrum instead?

Jay

OP
OP
B

BG107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept yellow tangs on 100% pellets and mysids - not a great scenario, but one dictated by the way they were housed. I would not reduce the mysids/pellets at the expense of more nori - I would feed both; the nori for grazing on over time, and the mysids/pellets for added protein / fats at regular feedings 2x day.

I haven't used LPS pellets for feeding fish, what about offering the tang New Life Spectrum instead?

Jay
Okay, I will continue to feed the mysis while making sure Nori is nearly always available. I do not want my tang to eat the LPS pellets haha, he steals it from the mouth of my acans and trachys, its quite strange but funny. I just bought the new life pellets and hope he eats them!

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note to say the switch to a lot of nori sheet with garlic which is making the tang full before everyone else's feeding time (although doesn't stop him trying to eat everything else) has had the desired effect. A few massive tang poops later and he seems back to normal.

I hope this works out for you op as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back