Yellow Tang Still

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a deep sand bed, might be toxic gas bubbles that goes to the top quickly but your YT ingested one and other fishes did not. Thats the only logically explanation I can come up with.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sry bro for the loss. I lost a yt few months ago strangest thing. Went home for lunch. Chkd the tank all was well. All the fish active and out. Put in some food, left the room for a min and came back and the tang was laying on its side back of the tank not moving. Glazed. Like it caught a med emergency. Or bolted in the feeding frenzy and went kamikaze into the glass.

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a deep sand bed, might be toxic gas bubbles that goes to the top quickly but your YT ingested one and other fishes did not. Thats the only logically explanation I can come up with.
My sand bed is around 1/2" to 1" deep at the most

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a interesting quote from a tang disease article today:

"Let me speak from experience watching dozens suffer before I could catch them (always too late) to treat:

The parasite slowly increases its presence on the fish. Starts on the gills out of sight, then on to fins, then all over the head and perhaps other areas. They increase in numbers.

Simultaneously the gills become more and more damaged and the fish is increasingly less able to breathe and very slowly suffocates over weeks.

The fish can be fat in the belly but it's lateral line and bones will begin to show. The parasite literally sucks the nourishment and life out of the fish. A morbidly obese tang in the belly region will eventually appear emaciated throughout the rest of its body as it suffers more and more. They will scratch, breathe heavy, lose color, swim sporadically which fades to hiding and becoming less active. They will eventually stop eating, and the parasite will finally suck the remaining hint of life out of them.

If well fed and fat (lots of nori) the process can take 2-6 weeks before killing it off.

It is horrible to watch, I somehow justified it by claiming the fish was weak and would have died anyway. The above experiences largely negate that. It's awful to watch them suffer this way on a glim hope that I will magically start warding them off. With my success over the past few years with these fish I can't believe I used to have trouble before. This is so much easier and more rewarding (treating all fish and properly quarantining).
"

My guess now is a internal disease that slowly wasted the fish away. But because the fish was quarantined I'm still unsure. What was described by the writer almost exactly described what happened to the YT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a interesting quote from a tang disease article today:

"Let me speak from experience watching dozens suffer before I could catch them (always too late) to treat:

The parasite slowly increases its presence on the fish. Starts on the gills out of sight, then on to fins, then all over the head and perhaps other areas. They increase in numbers.

Simultaneously the gills become more and more damaged and the fish is increasingly less able to breathe and very slowly suffocates over weeks.

The fish can be fat in the belly but it's lateral line and bones will begin to show. The parasite literally sucks the nourishment and life out of the fish. A morbidly obese tang in the belly region will eventually appear emaciated throughout the rest of its body as it suffers more and more. They will scratch, breathe heavy, lose color, swim sporadically which fades to hiding and becoming less active. They will eventually stop eating, and the parasite will finally suck the remaining hint of life out of them.

If well fed and fat (lots of nori) the process can take 2-6 weeks before killing it off.

It is horrible to watch, I somehow justified it by claiming the fish was weak and would have died anyway. The above experiences largely negate that. It's awful to watch them suffer this way on a glim hope that I will magically start warding them off. With my success over the past few years with these fish I can't believe I used to have trouble before. This is so much easier and more rewarding (treating all fish and properly quarantining).
"

My guess now is a internal disease that slowly wasted the fish away. But because the fish was quarantined I'm still unsure. What was described by the writer almost exactly described what happened to the YT.
What parasite are they talking about here?
Jay

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What parasite are they talking about here?
Jay
It was related to ich and the "managing'' of it in reef tanks.

Here is the article:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was related to ich and the "managing'' of it in reef tanks.

Here is the article:

Just off the cuff - Cryptocaryon doesn't cause emaciation as a primary symptom, and that is just not seen at all in a chronic cases. More likely, the fish they are discussing had a multiple infection - the Cryptocaryon/ich was producing some spots, but either an internal worm infestation, or external flukes was causing the emaciation.

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it just be a combination of the YT not being fat and fit enough and when the rock work was rescaped it just gave up on life?
maybe YT got super stressed out from moving rocks around, hit something in the tank and then died

Sorry for your loss

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back